Do UV Filters used at night create artifacts?

4 years 5 months ago #665261 by D Hornick
Which of you are using UV filters?  I have a buddy who uses UV filters and personally I think they are a waste of money.  Will these used at night create artifacts?

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665264 by Nikon Shooter
The only reason to use a UV filter is in fair wind at
sea or in the desert, then it may protect the lens.

On Earth, the main source of UV light is our Sun
and at night… :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665278 by D Hornick
Personally I just don't use them.  Honestly, never bought into that Koolaid.  However a buddy of mine thinks these are the cure for cancer and the best thing you could have on your camera.  

I was in the mood the rock the boat a little after a remark he made to me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665280 by Nikon Shooter
UV filters could have found justification in the
old days of film but no longer with digital but
to protect the front lens.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665290 by fmw
I use them on every single lens.  I have had two lenses ruined that would have been fine if I had used a UV filter.  UV filters don't produce any artifacts at all.  They are plain, clear optical glass. 

I am in a minority by the way but I have learned the hard way how they can protect a front lens element.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #665291 by Shadowfixer1

fmw wrote: I use them on every single lens.  I have had two lenses ruined that would have been fine if I had used a UV filter.  UV filters don't produce any artifacts at all.  They are plain, clear optical glass. 

I am in a minority by the way but I have learned the hard way how they can protect a front lens element.

Not entirely true. They can produce flare from reflections when there is a strong light source. I don't use them and haven't for years. I do use lens hoods though to protect the front element. 
4 years 5 months ago #665293 by fmw

Nikon Shooter wrote: UV filters could have found justification in the

They had no use in filtering light in the film days either.  They are front element protectors and nothing else.  Actually a coated front element does a better job of filtering UV light than a UV filter. 

A lens hood can protect the lens from banging into something or most scratches but the UV filter can prevent damage from sand and dirt.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665294 by fmw

Nikon Shooter wrote: UV filters could have found justification in the

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665296 by fmw

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

fmw wrote: I use them on every single lens.  I have had two lenses ruined that would have been fine if I had used a UV filter.  UV filters don't produce any artifacts at all.  They are plain, clear optical glass. 

I don't view flare as an artifact. It results from light bouncing around inside the lens and falling on the sensor from an angle, I view artifacts as digital.  I could be wrong about that.

After 1/2 century of photogaphy I can think of only 2 or 3 occasions where removing a protective filter reduced flare.  it is way way more common for a complex zoom lens to increase flare than a simple filter.  If you are worried about flare I would recommend abandoning zoom lenses rather than worrying about protective filters.  In other words, flare from a protective filter isn't much of a problem.

But you are in the majority.  Using a lens hood reduces flare much more than removing protective filters.  I'm a big fan of hoods as well.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665306 by effron
They had a use once, a waste of money now, IMO.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665320 by garyrhook
I don't bother with UV filters. 6 years in, no problems so far.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665569 by Zach Mosher
Yeah, same here.  I just don't use a UV filter.  Save your $$ and pick up other filters like CPL or ND

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024