Do UV Filters used at night create artifacts?

10 months 2 weeks ago #665261 by D Hornick
Which of you are using UV filters?  I have a buddy who uses UV filters and personally I think they are a waste of money.  Will these used at night create artifacts?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 months 2 weeks ago #665264 by Nikon Shooter
The only reason to use a UV filter is in fair wind at
sea or in the desert, then it may protect the lens.

On Earth, the main source of UV light is our Sun
and at night… :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

10 months 2 weeks ago #665278 by D Hornick
Personally I just don't use them.  Honestly, never bought into that Koolaid.  However a buddy of mine thinks these are the cure for cancer and the best thing you could have on your camera.  

I was in the mood the rock the boat a little after a remark he made to me.  

Photo Comments

10 months 2 weeks ago #665280 by Nikon Shooter
UV filters could have found justification in the
old days of film but no longer with digital but
to protect the front lens.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

10 months 2 weeks ago #665290 by fmw
I use them on every single lens.  I have had two lenses ruined that would have been fine if I had used a UV filter.  UV filters don't produce any artifacts at all.  They are plain, clear optical glass. 

I am in a minority by the way but I have learned the hard way how they can protect a front lens element.

Photo Comments

10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #665291 by Shadowfixer1

fmw wrote: I use them on every single lens.  I have had two lenses ruined that would have been fine if I had used a UV filter.  UV filters don't produce any artifacts at all.  They are plain, clear optical glass. 

I am in a minority by the way but I have learned the hard way how they can protect a front lens element.

Not entirely true. They can produce flare from reflections when there is a strong light source. I don't use them and haven't for years. I do use lens hoods though to protect the front element. 

10 months 2 weeks ago #665293 by fmw

Nikon Shooter wrote: UV filters could have found justification in the

They had no use in filtering light in the film days either.  They are front element protectors and nothing else.  Actually a coated front element does a better job of filtering UV light than a UV filter. 

A lens hood can protect the lens from banging into something or most scratches but the UV filter can prevent damage from sand and dirt.

Photo Comments

10 months 2 weeks ago #665294 by fmw

Nikon Shooter wrote: UV filters could have found justification in the

Photo Comments

10 months 2 weeks ago #665296 by fmw

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

fmw wrote: I use them on every single lens.  I have had two lenses ruined that would have been fine if I had used a UV filter.  UV filters don't produce any artifacts at all.  They are plain, clear optical glass. 

I don't view flare as an artifact. It results from light bouncing around inside the lens and falling on the sensor from an angle, I view artifacts as digital.  I could be wrong about that.

After 1/2 century of photogaphy I can think of only 2 or 3 occasions where removing a protective filter reduced flare.  it is way way more common for a complex zoom lens to increase flare than a simple filter.  If you are worried about flare I would recommend abandoning zoom lenses rather than worrying about protective filters.  In other words, flare from a protective filter isn't much of a problem.

But you are in the majority.  Using a lens hood reduces flare much more than removing protective filters.  I'm a big fan of hoods as well.

Photo Comments

10 months 2 weeks ago #665306 by effron
They had a use once, a waste of money now, IMO.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

10 months 1 week ago #665320 by garyrhook
I don't bother with UV filters. 6 years in, no problems so far.

Photo Comments

10 months 1 week ago #665569 by Zach Mosher
Yeah, same here.  I just don't use a UV filter.  Save your $$ and pick up other filters like CPL or ND

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

https://static.photocdn.pt/images/articles/2020/09/21/Pentax_K-1_Mark_II_Specs_2.jpg

Sep 21, 2020

The Canon 7D Mark II might be more than five years old, but for sports and wildlife photographers, it's still a great - and affordable - option.

Sep 15, 2020

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II is a high-end compact camera. The question is, is it the right camera for you? Find out in this Canon PowerShot G5 X II review.

Sep 09, 2020

This detailed Olympus OM-D E-M1X review will introduce you to the features, specs, pros, cons, and more of this high-powered sports and action photography camera.

Sep 07, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With a budget of $5,000, you can get incredible gifts for photographers this holiday season.

Sep 22, 2020

Use these photography business tips to expand the reach of your business to new clients and retain the clients you already have.

Sep 21, 2020

To get better at photography, you need to learn how to improve your photos. And to do that, you need to practice essential photography skills. Here's some projects that will help you do just that.

Sep 21, 2020

https://static.photocdn.pt/images/articles/2020/09/21/Pentax_K-1_Mark_II_Specs_2.jpg

Sep 21, 2020

There are many benefits of curved monitors, not the least of which is reduced eye strain. But they also enhance your post-processing experience.

Sep 21, 2020

Learning how to get better at landscape photography is a matter of following a few simple rules. Get better results by following these easy techniques!

Sep 18, 2020

To get good audio for YouTube videos, you need to follow a few "rules of the road."

Sep 16, 2020

Lens filters are a crucial component of a landscape photography kit. But you can't just have them, you need to know how to use them too. Learn what lens filter mistakes to avoid in this tutorial.

Sep 16, 2020