Anxiety of shooting around others?

4 weeks 1 day ago #665591 by garyrhook

MonilGomes wrote: Or if I’m shooting an event for a client I’ll feel weird photographing the people who are just there enjoying the event. It feels like I’m intruding by just pointing a camera at people. I sometimes will say “hey I’m doing photos for this event, will you pose?” but it’s not as genuine of a moment that way. Last night I shot an event for a client at a crowded bar downtown and was taking photos of the bartender and drinks when I overheard two girls at the bar say “who takes photos at a bar... that’s so weird” which made me feel awful. I know I’m just here to do my job but how do I get over this so I can shoot the content I want without being restricted by my anxiety?

First off, you have zero control over what other people do, say, or think. So get over it. It's not about you, it's about them and their narcissism.

Second, you were working. It would have been perfectly reasonable to turn to them and say, kindly, of course, "I'm working." Then chat them up. And take their photo. But let them fill in the gaps in their lack of understanding. Because, again, not your job.

You do you.

Third, mostly people don't care. They won't pay one bit of attention to you, because they have their own concerns. You found an exception. So what? What does that matter?

I believe we have a gross (mis)assessment of how important we are to other people. Turns out we're not. And as soon as you let go and do your job, you will quickly become part of the background for almost everyone around you. They get used to you, and you become non-existent.

You can be as self-conscious as you wish, but I'm here to tell you that no one cares. Really, they don't.

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 weeks 14 hours ago #665627 by Nikon Shooter
Photographers are in the position to witness events
and record permanent memories of these events.

It fells maybe strange — in the beginning — to attend
an event where one chooses not to take part to and
stay back to keep an eye on everything but this is a
privilege… well, that the way I like to see it!.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

4 weeks 14 hours ago - 4 weeks 14 hours ago #665629 by effron
I only had anxiety over paying the rent.....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

4 weeks 2 hours ago #665740 by Garbo
Nike said it best:  Just do it!

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

3 weeks 1 day ago #666310 by garyrhook

MonilGomes wrote: issue got solved!!

Congratulations. How?

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using a teleprompter when creating videos allows you to give your audience a much-improved message. With one of these best teleprompters of 2019, you can do so without busting your budget!

Dec 09, 2019

If you're ready to take better travel photos and make money while you do it, have a look at this tutorial for some must-have travel photography tips.

Dec 09, 2019

Photo by Geo Days on Unsplash If you're scared of going to the dentist, you should probably stop reading now. A dentist in...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Victória Kubiaki on Unsplash It's not every day that someone goes out of their way to make strangers smile, but that's...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Olenka Kotyk on Unsplash  Brides will always expect photographers to work for free because photography is an...

Dec 07, 2019

The best camera bags of 2019 include duffel bags and slings, backpacks and leather bags. Their common trait? These are some of the most well-designed, rugged, and functional bags available today.

Dec 06, 2019

I'm making the move to Canon mirrorless cameras, specifically the EOS R. Here's a few thoughts on the transition so far, including some pleasant surprises!

Dec 06, 2019

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019