Magic Arm clamp that will work on table?

2 months 1 week ago #665476 by Alvin Pignotti
Hey guys, I'm trying to find a way to clamp my Magic Arm to a table, but the clamp that came with this is for poles.  I don't even know what to look for at this point.  

This is the photo of what I have.  When you try to clamp this to a table, it because of it's design, it turns upwards.  

Help please

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #665477 by Nikon Shooter
The design is very ok. Alvin…
but maybe not your observational skills!  :rofl:

Remove the triangular part from the clamp…

and relocate between the jaws of the clamp.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #665491 by Roy Wilson
Mine doesn't have that triangle part?  I must have an older one??

I wondered the same thing as OP.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #665495 by Nikon Shooter
They're pretty easy to lose, Roy, but they can
still be bought in stores.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #665566 by Roy Wilson

Nikon Shooter wrote: They're pretty easy to lose, Roy, but they can
still be bought in stores.

Very possible, I just looked and honestly no luck and kind of not surprised.  I bought this nearly 8 years ago.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #665573 by Nikon Shooter

Roy Wilson wrote: Very possible, I just looked and honestly no luck and kind of not surprised.  I bought this nearly 8 years ago.  

Have a look here, Roy…
Set of 4 Wedges for Super Clamp 

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #665583 by effron
I have a couple of those clamps, for flat surfaces I just use a piece of 5/8" garden hose cut to size....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #665663 by Missy J

effron wrote: I have a couple of those clamps, for flat surfaces I just use a piece of 5/8" garden hose cut to size....

You mean under the triangle part? 

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #665666 by effron

Missy J wrote:

effron wrote: I have a couple of those clamps, for flat surfaces I just use a piece of 5/8" garden hose cut to size....

You mean under the triangle part? 

Why yes, of course.....I actually made a couple triangular pieces to fit, out of scrap wood but the hose worked better. Lots of things can be used to fill that gap.....

Why so serious?
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #665751 by Garbo
Reminds me about picking up another one of these.  These are a great tool for the studio.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #665899 by Neil Dulay
I just looked up what is a 'Magic Arm', man those things are pricey for what they are!  

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #665907 by Nikon Shooter

Neil Dulay wrote: I just looked up what is a 'Magic Arm', man those things are pricey for what they are!  

You are right but if you're like me – born with only 2 arms
and hands — these tools are priceless every day in studio.

Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #665937 by effron
Yup, for studio and product work they are worth every cent.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #666021 by Frisco
The problem with using a Magic Arm on a table is that any vibrations on the table will come up through to your camera.  Just put your hands down on the table to see what I'm talking about.  Unless you have a 1000lb table, your going to see vibrations.  So you'll need to be careful.  UNLESS you find some sort of shock mount that goes between your table and the Magic Arm.

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #666023 by Nikon Shooter

Frisco wrote: The problem with using a Magic Arm on a table is that any vibrations on the table will come up through to your camera.  Just put your hands down on the table to see what I'm talking about.  Unless you have a 1000lb table, your going to see vibrations.  So you'll need to be careful.  UNLESS you find some sort of shock mount that goes between your table and the Magic Arm.

Really??? I think you got something wrong here, Frisco!

I would not trust it my gripped DSLR — nobody would! But a
flash head, a gobo. a flag, diffusor, reflection. mirror… for sure.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z50 is an entry-level mirrorless camera, but has many high-end features that make it an interesting proposition for many photographers. Get the scoop on this little camera in this Nikon Z50 review.

Jan 15, 2020

In this Sony a7 III vs Nikon D500 head-to-head battle, find out which camera best suits your needs for still photography and video (and your budget, too).

Jan 09, 2020

The Panasonic GH4 might be going on six years old, but it still packs a punch, even in 2020. Learn about all the specs and features of this camera in our Panasonic GH4 review.

Dec 31, 2019

If you have your eye on a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, check out its specs, pricing, and availability to be sure you get the best deal.

Dec 26, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're in the market for an inexpensive full frame camera this year, look no further than this list of some cheap full frame mirrorless and DSLR options.

Jan 20, 2020

What photography gear upgrades are you planning for 2020? As you update your kit, bear these essential photography accessories in mind.

Jan 20, 2020

Not sure how to earn more money as a photographer? With these photography business tips, learn how to boost your photography income and improve your bottom line.

Jan 16, 2020

You've heard resolutions for photographers before, but have you made your own? If you want to learn how to improve your photography, give these New Year's resolutions a try.

Jan 16, 2020

In this videography 101 tutorial, learn a few videography tips for beginners that will help you start creating engaging content for your viewers.

Jan 15, 2020

With these top iPhone photography accessories, you'll be better-equipped to take high-quality photos and videos.

Jan 15, 2020

The Nikon Z50 is an entry-level mirrorless camera, but has many high-end features that make it an interesting proposition for many photographers. Get the scoop on this little camera in this Nikon Z50 review.

Jan 15, 2020

Learn how to master the art of Craigslist classifieds with this inside look at what Craigslist is and how to sell on Craigslist.

Jan 15, 2020