Magic Arm clamp that will work on table?

3 weeks 6 days ago #665476 by Alvin Pignotti
Hey guys, I'm trying to find a way to clamp my Magic Arm to a table, but the clamp that came with this is for poles.  I don't even know what to look for at this point.  

This is the photo of what I have.  When you try to clamp this to a table, it because of it's design, it turns upwards.  

Help please

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 weeks 6 days ago - 3 weeks 6 days ago #665477 by Nikon Shooter
The design is very ok. Alvin…
but maybe not your observational skills!  :rofl:

Remove the triangular part from the clamp…

and relocate between the jaws of the clamp.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

3 weeks 6 days ago #665491 by Roy Wilson
Mine doesn't have that triangle part?  I must have an older one??

I wondered the same thing as OP.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments

3 weeks 5 days ago #665495 by Nikon Shooter
They're pretty easy to lose, Roy, but they can
still be bought in stores.

Photo Comments

3 weeks 5 days ago #665566 by Roy Wilson

Nikon Shooter wrote: They're pretty easy to lose, Roy, but they can
still be bought in stores.

Very possible, I just looked and honestly no luck and kind of not surprised.  I bought this nearly 8 years ago.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments

3 weeks 5 days ago #665573 by Nikon Shooter

Roy Wilson wrote: Very possible, I just looked and honestly no luck and kind of not surprised.  I bought this nearly 8 years ago.  

Have a look here, Roy…
Set of 4 Wedges for Super Clamp 

Photo Comments

3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #665583 by effron
I have a couple of those clamps, for flat surfaces I just use a piece of 5/8" garden hose cut to size....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

3 weeks 4 days ago #665663 by Missy J

effron wrote: I have a couple of those clamps, for flat surfaces I just use a piece of 5/8" garden hose cut to size....

You mean under the triangle part? 

Photo Comments

3 weeks 4 days ago #665666 by effron

Missy J wrote:

effron wrote: I have a couple of those clamps, for flat surfaces I just use a piece of 5/8" garden hose cut to size....

You mean under the triangle part? 

Why yes, of course.....I actually made a couple triangular pieces to fit, out of scrap wood but the hose worked better. Lots of things can be used to fill that gap.....

Why so serious?
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

3 weeks 4 days ago #665751 by Garbo
Reminds me about picking up another one of these.  These are a great tool for the studio.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

3 weeks 2 days ago #665899 by Neil Dulay
I just looked up what is a 'Magic Arm', man those things are pricey for what they are!  

Photo Comments

3 weeks 2 days ago #665907 by Nikon Shooter

Neil Dulay wrote: I just looked up what is a 'Magic Arm', man those things are pricey for what they are!  

You are right but if you're like me – born with only 2 arms
and hands — these tools are priceless every day in studio.

Photo Comments

3 weeks 2 days ago #665937 by effron
Yup, for studio and product work they are worth every cent.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

3 weeks 1 day ago #666021 by Frisco
The problem with using a Magic Arm on a table is that any vibrations on the table will come up through to your camera.  Just put your hands down on the table to see what I'm talking about.  Unless you have a 1000lb table, your going to see vibrations.  So you'll need to be careful.  UNLESS you find some sort of shock mount that goes between your table and the Magic Arm.

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments

3 weeks 1 day ago #666023 by Nikon Shooter

Frisco wrote: The problem with using a Magic Arm on a table is that any vibrations on the table will come up through to your camera.  Just put your hands down on the table to see what I'm talking about.  Unless you have a 1000lb table, your going to see vibrations.  So you'll need to be careful.  UNLESS you find some sort of shock mount that goes between your table and the Magic Arm.

Really??? I think you got something wrong here, Frisco!

I would not trust it my gripped DSLR — nobody would! But a
flash head, a gobo. a flag, diffusor, reflection. mirror… for sure.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019

The Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L is one of the holy trinity of lenses every photographer needs to have. Does it stand up to its huge price tag? Let's find out!

Nov 22, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Victória Kubiaki on Unsplash It's not every day that someone goes out of their way to make strangers smile, but that's...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Olenka Kotyk on Unsplash  Brides will always expect photographers to work for free because photography is an...

Dec 07, 2019

The best camera bags of 2019 include duffel bags and slings, backpacks and leather bags. Their common trait? These are some of the most well-designed, rugged, and functional bags available today.

Dec 06, 2019

I'm making the move to Canon mirrorless cameras, specifically the EOS R. Here's a few thoughts on the transition so far, including some pleasant surprises!

Dec 06, 2019

How to sell used camera gear has changed a lot over the last decade. In this article, learn about the future of how to sell your used camera gear for maximum profits.

Dec 05, 2019

If you're starting a photography business, there are a few things you need to research before you open your doors. Tackle the tasks outlined here, and you'll be in better shape to build a successful business.

Dec 05, 2019

GoPros have been around for 15 years, and over the years, many unusual GoPro accessories have come to market. Have a look at some of our favorites.

Dec 05, 2019

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019