How much do you need a wide-angle zoom lens?

3 weeks 1 day ago #666334 by joshumike
I'm wondering how much use you guys get out of the zoom part of your wide-angle zoom lens. Is it worth sacrificing the superior aperture of a prime lens for the zoom range?Why I ask (skip if you don't care): I need a wide-angle lens for my Sony A7iii. I mostly do portrait photography (with my Zeiss 55mm) but I'd like a single do-it-all wide lens. Something for indoor portraits/events, street photography, and landscapes. I shoot wide open a lot of the time with portraits for the creamy background. It's also nice for handling low-light indoor conditions. I could get the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, which is a solid lens at a reasonable price. Or I could get the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 prime lens for the same price. On the one hand, you've got some zoom to play with, and on the other, you've got a much wider aperture. I'm not sure if I should care enough about 11mm of zoom to lose the low-light performance and bokeh you get with the prime.I know 24mm isn't exactly the most flattering focal length for portraits, but I really just want a single wide-angle lens. I could step up to 35mm but 24 seems like a nice middle ground for when I want to use it with landscapes. Forget the GM, I don't have a spare $2200 lying around.Thanks for your input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 weeks 1 day ago - 3 weeks 1 day ago #666452 by effron
I don't need any lens, desire is what drives me, and I like my wide zooms. I use them at mid ranges most I guess, but even at the extremes a quality modern zoom is pretty good....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

3 weeks 22 hours ago #666460 by Nikon Shooter
Part of the lens trinity is the 14~24mm zoom…
wouldn't start a day without it… ever!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

3 weeks 20 hours ago #666468 by John Landolfi
+1

Photo Comments

3 weeks 2 hours ago #666572 by J Photo Man
Man, IMO yes.  Absolutely you need one.  

Photo Comments

2 weeks 6 days ago #666640 by michaelsmith
I would go for the Sigma prime, since you are into portraits. The zoom you get on the Tamron will be useful at times and will give you more freedom of movement, but the quality you get with the Sigma will be better definitely! 

2 weeks 16 hours ago #667326 by KCook
For a fast prime I would find more use for a 28 or 30mm than 24.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

1 week 5 days ago #667650 by Don Granger
If you are shooting landscapes, a wide angle zoom is nearly a must have if you want my 2 cents. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using a teleprompter when creating videos allows you to give your audience a much-improved message. With one of these best teleprompters of 2019, you can do so without busting your budget!

Dec 09, 2019

If you're ready to take better travel photos and make money while you do it, have a look at this tutorial for some must-have travel photography tips.

Dec 09, 2019

Photo by Geo Days on Unsplash If you're scared of going to the dentist, you should probably stop reading now. A dentist in...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Victória Kubiaki on Unsplash It's not every day that someone goes out of their way to make strangers smile, but that's...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Olenka Kotyk on Unsplash  Brides will always expect photographers to work for free because photography is an...

Dec 07, 2019

The best camera bags of 2019 include duffel bags and slings, backpacks and leather bags. Their common trait? These are some of the most well-designed, rugged, and functional bags available today.

Dec 06, 2019

I'm making the move to Canon mirrorless cameras, specifically the EOS R. Here's a few thoughts on the transition so far, including some pleasant surprises!

Dec 06, 2019

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019