How much do you need a wide-angle zoom lens?

4 years 5 months ago #666334 by joshumike
I'm wondering how much use you guys get out of the zoom part of your wide-angle zoom lens. Is it worth sacrificing the superior aperture of a prime lens for the zoom range?Why I ask (skip if you don't care): I need a wide-angle lens for my Sony A7iii. I mostly do portrait photography (with my Zeiss 55mm) but I'd like a single do-it-all wide lens. Something for indoor portraits/events, street photography, and landscapes. I shoot wide open a lot of the time with portraits for the creamy background. It's also nice for handling low-light indoor conditions. I could get the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8, which is a solid lens at a reasonable price. Or I could get the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 prime lens for the same price. On the one hand, you've got some zoom to play with, and on the other, you've got a much wider aperture. I'm not sure if I should care enough about 11mm of zoom to lose the low-light performance and bokeh you get with the prime.I know 24mm isn't exactly the most flattering focal length for portraits, but I really just want a single wide-angle lens. I could step up to 35mm but 24 seems like a nice middle ground for when I want to use it with landscapes. Forget the GM, I don't have a spare $2200 lying around.Thanks for your input!

4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #666452 by effron
I don't need any lens, desire is what drives me, and I like my wide zooms. I use them at mid ranges most I guess, but even at the extremes a quality modern zoom is pretty good....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #666460 by Nikon Shooter
Part of the lens trinity is the 14~24mm zoom…
wouldn't start a day without it… ever!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #666468 by John Landolfi
+1

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #666572 by J Photo Man
Man, IMO yes.  Absolutely you need one.  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #666640 by michaelsmith
I would go for the Sigma prime, since you are into portraits. The zoom you get on the Tamron will be useful at times and will give you more freedom of movement, but the quality you get with the Sigma will be better definitely! 

4 years 4 months ago #667326 by KCook
For a fast prime I would find more use for a 28 or 30mm than 24.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 4 months ago #667650 by Don Granger
If you are shooting landscapes, a wide angle zoom is nearly a must have if you want my 2 cents. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024