Using hand warmers to keep camera batteries warm?

6 months 1 week ago #667433 by Happy-pixel
With cold weather here, I need to keep my batteries warm.  Have any of you used something like this in your camera bag near your batteries? 

https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Toe-Warmers-Activated/dp/B06ZYW6HDK/ref=pd_lutyp_crtyp_simh_3_1/130-4396812-9230623?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06ZYW6HDK&pd_rd_r=82e499ce-056b-4f91-b298-2397fb4c0a9d&pd_rd_w=BSYPK&pd_rd_wg=SCFLQ&pf_rd_p=7dbb7d55-f8a0-4d7b-84e2-fe1c6913e19d&pf_rd_r=W8T65450EDYR7756YMPW&psc=1&refRID=W8T65450EDYR7756YMPW

Did it work well?  I'm seeing each of these will put off heat for upwards of 30 minutes.  Which now that I'm thinking about it, will require a lot of these things.  2 per hour.  Which means this box might last 10 hours.  Unless I can get away with 1 per hour and just have the battery case well insulated.  

What do you think?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 1 week ago #667438 by garyrhook
I think you misread the description.

HotHands take 15-30 minutes to warm up, then last 8-10 hours.

A good buy, very useful. Get some.

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #667440 by effron
Yup, I use those often and keep batteries in a pocket with one. I think they warm in 10 to 15 myself.
Also, if you only go out for a couple hours, put the warm packets in a ziploc bag, squeeze out as much air as possible as lock. Save them for next time out, they'll warm again once re-exposed to air.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #667466 by Photo Amigo
How warm are these if you stuff in your gloves?  Can they rest on your bare skin with out being uncomfortable? 

6 months 1 week ago #667479 by effron
Yup, they won't burn. I stick them in my gloves often.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #667482 by Nikon Shooter
I prefer having three packs, two in my coat and one in the
camera… that I will change as needed. The ultimate solution
is a 10 A power source close to my body and attached with
a cable to the camera.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #667656 by Sassy Girl
My husband uses these for his camping and hunting trips 

Photo Comments

6 months 5 days ago #667767 by Pete Franko
Toss in a couple of those in your camera bag and your gear will be good to go.  

Photo Comments

6 months 4 days ago #667828 by CharleyL
I have always just used a small fanny pack, strapped high around my upper chest with the pack itself roughly positioned behind the zipper in my coat to store my batteries when out in cold Weather. I let my body keep them warm and no other source of heat has been necessary. I can get to them easily too, by just unzipping my coat a little and then unzipping the fanny pack. It has two compartments, so I keep the freshly charged in one pocket, and the discharged in the other. This pack location may not work so well with some people, but my big belly guarantees that the pack strap won't slide down. For those of you not so large around the middle as me, maybe attaching a zipper bag to the inside of your coat with pins would work. In either way, keeping your batteries under your coat and close to your body will keep them very warm, as long as you keep yourself warm.

Charley

6 months 3 days ago #668008 by Stacy Craig
Are these non toxic and safe for kids?  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic landscape photography tips, you'll be able to plan and prepare your outings so you can start taking better photos.

Jun 03, 2020

The Canon 5D Mark IV might be showing its age a bit, but it's still a great camera for 2020, particularly for shooting HD video.

Jun 03, 2020

The DJI Mavic 2 Pro is one of the best drones I've ever owned, and it's even better with these must-have Mavic 2 Pro accessories.

Jun 03, 2020

Increasing your photography income is something that could be easier than you think. Check out these ideas for making extra money so you can improve your bottom line.

Jun 03, 2020

To shoot nude photography takes time, dedication, and practice. Get a few practical tips in this introduction to nude photography.

Jun 03, 2020

Variable ND filters aren't for everyone, but they do have many benefits for photographers. In this guide, learn about the pros of variable ND filters, the cons, the difference between variable ND filters and fixed ND filters, and more.

Jun 02, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

In this ball head buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the top ball heads of 2020.

Jun 01, 2020