Is it bad to leave dust on your cameras sensor?

4 years 4 months ago #667661 by Raymond Z
I've had some dust spots on my sensor for a little while.  I always seem to forget about cleaning it.  Till I go out and take photos.  I just cleaned the camera today.  But if you don't clean your sensor, is there any negatives besides having the spots on your photos?

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667662 by Nikon Shooter
The chemical composition of what caused the spot may be vey
diverse from spot to spot and some may have more acidity or
corrosive content that may — on the long run — have negative
effect on the coatings of the sensor.

All this is speculative as I don't know exactly but I wouldn't dare
take a chance so I scrupulously keep all sensors clean — it proved
to save me time in PP and possibly the sensor's recording quality.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667667 by Raymond Z
But how could anything wet have gotten in my camera?  I thought those dust spots are just dust that floated into the camera during a lens swap?  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667672 by effron
Atmosphere, humidity....Its bad to leave dust for too long.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667679 by Nikon Shooter

Raymond Z wrote: But how could anything wet have gotten in my camera?

Condensation may be the first suspect I think.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667680 by Nikon Shooter
…and electrostatic.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667686 by KenMan
I can’t stand the spots, So I make it a point to always clean at the end of the day

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667709 by effron

KenMan wrote: I can’t stand the spots, So I make it a point to always clean at the end of the day

I'm too lazy for that, I usually wait until a Saturn sized dust spot begins eclipsing my images for a wet clean......:dry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667725 by Tim Dordeck
I don't clean my sensor each day with the whole swab thing, but I will use the blower and blow it out.  I do that each time I take on and off a lens.  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667754 by Ben Vanderbilt
Gotta clean that sensor with at least a blower before and after each use. 

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667864 by Fess Walker
Why?  When you know it's there, why subject  your  photos  to that? A lot of dust can  easily fall off with a blower. 

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667994 by Jessy Page
+1 only takes seconds too

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024