How to start a travel photography career?

5 months 2 weeks ago #669312 by Zach Mosher
My younger brother wants to travel the world, photograph it and earn money some how.   Our family hasn't been very supportive of him doing this.  I know he is going to do what he wants to do, so trying to find some answers for him.

Perhaps I can get some advice from you:

1. If you were to travel the globe with your camera, how would you make money?
2.  Any residual money streams as a traveling photographer?
3.  Any tips you can offer?

Thank you.

Zach

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 2 weeks ago #669314 by effron
Answer to first question, if you need to ask it would be better to stay home and get a real job. There are a few traveling photographers, many more that fail.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #669318 by Nikon Shooter
In any kind of art, Zach, these are the less relevant
concerns possible. Just do what you like to do and
do it darn well. Who ever comes along will most li-
kely be the one giving your efforts the direction you
seek.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #669329 by CaptNemo
1. Sell stock
2. Local photography jobs at each location
3. Start a YouTube channel on travel photography
4.  Sell prints (if your brother is good enough).  

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #669347 by Zach Mosher

effron wrote: Answer to first question, if you need to ask it would be better to stay home and get a real job. There are a few traveling photographers, many more that fail.

Thank you for the answer.  However this wasn't for me, it's my younger brother.  I personally don't know squat about travel photography.  

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #669349 by Shadowfixer1
Have him go watch earlier youtube videos of Brendan van Son. He breaks down how he makes money in those. 

5 months 2 weeks ago #669363 by Zach Mosher

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Have him go watch earlier youtube videos of Brendan van Son. He breaks down how he makes money in those. 

Thank you!

I just forwarded him this!

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #669402 by garyrhook
Dear OP:

Suggest to your brother that he research what travel photographers do today. There are plenty out there. They write/blog, they create compelling essays on locations and try to sell them to magazines/websites, they find a spin and exploit it in their work.

N.B. if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #669432 by Juan Anthony
I could only last for a few weeks at a time. I suspect you need to live like a gypsy when getting started unless you have a pile of cash in the bank.

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #669550 by Sanford
If your brother hasn't seen this guys videos, these will be a good investment of time

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #669611 by Pat White
Man, I would love to travel around and earn the big bucks while at it!!

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

You can learn nude photography with any kind of camera. What's more important is to focus on the process and making the model (and yourself) as comfortable as possible.

May 26, 2020