What's Your Latest TSA Camera Screening Experiences?

4 years 4 months ago #669433 by Craig Stone
We just took a quick 4 day trip down to Cancun, Mexico and to and from, I had to take my cameras and place in separate bins, my tripod needed to be shipped below the plane.  Of course Macbook Air in one bin and iPad in its own bin.  Geez, between my gear and then my shoes and normal stuff, I took up 8 bins!  

Have you noticed tighter security around the holidays where you are at? 

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #669453 by effron
Last time I flew was a year ago, no issues and didn't even need to open the bag. Domestic flight.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #669595 by Fran Welch
They usually just have me take camera out and turn it on and off.  Funny is that they don't ask that of my computer.   

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #669706 by garyrhook

Fran Welch wrote: They usually just have me take camera out and turn it on and off.  Funny is that they don't ask that of my computer.   

It would be easier to shove C4 into a battery compartment than hide it in laptop. A power cycle shows there's a battery in there.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #669753 by Kyle O

garyrhook wrote:

Fran Welch wrote: They usually just have me take camera out and turn it on and off.  Funny is that they don't ask that of my computer.   

It would be easier to shove C4 into a battery compartment than hide it in laptop. A power cycle shows there's a battery in there.

:agree:   

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #669979 by Soccer Mom
Nothing out of the ordinary for me.  Pull out computer, pull out tablet and they generally just look at my camera gear and run it through their scanner.  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670191 by Howard Swanson
You guys must be getting the 'I'm having a bad day' people.  I have never needed to take my camera gear from their bags.  They open my camera bag, yes.  My laptop has to come out is about it.  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670279 by Greg Friedman
The hot TSA screener didn't select me for a private screening.  :rofl:

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670291 by the four vignettes
Latest (domestic) flight (last Saturday) I just put my bag in the scanning tub and sent it through.  They just sent it right on through without searching through or anything.  I've noticed the larger glass or more camera gear you have, the less they want to look at it.  I'm guessing they've been b... complained at (possibly rightfully so) by photographers for wanting to molest the gear.

So just always carry at least a 300mm f/2.8 and you're good to go. 

4 years 4 months ago #670383 by Tim Dordeck
I'm traveling this week and just flew 3 days ago with  my camera gear. The only thing they had me do is take my iPad and computer out of the bag and place in their own bins. Super easy. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024