First Maternity Shoot Questions :)

4 years 3 months ago #670464 by iKokomo
Hello! A friend of mine asked me to do shoot some maternity photos of her. While I am doing these for free and for fun, I would like to do a good job as well. :)  I have shot a couple of weddings so I know how to use my DSLR and the basics of photography, but I have not done a maternity shoot before. I want to expand my skill-set while helping out a friend.I was wondering if you guys have any tips to give or videos or blog articles to read and watch? Hope you all have a great Holiday season! 

4 years 3 months ago #670477 by Nikon Shooter
The most important skill needed in this case — and IMO,
is not technical but mostly (or all) in the story telling.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #670564 by iKokomo
Thanks a lot! That really helps. Telling a story! My second question. Should I ask her to find some poses she likes and send them to me so I can learn her style that way I can tell the story in her way.

4 years 3 months ago #670567 by Nikon Shooter
Half (+/-) humanity is female. Many many of them have
child/ren but only her has this unique way with it. This is
a very good idea to ask her about how she sees herself.

Of course, you may bring in your input and direct her in
her way if you see it necessary.

I feel you'll be doing just fine… trust yourself! :)

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #670575 by garyrhook
I would suggest spending some time online searching for maternity photography. Figure out what appeals to you (and what does not).

If you've no experience in directing poses, that's going to be a problem. Most folks have no idea what to do in front of a camera, nor how to make themselves look good. That's the photographer's job.

So look at this as a growth opportunity. Perhaps schedule 2 or more sessions several days apart, so you can shoot, review, and try again.

In short: you have much homework to do to prepare.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024