Canon M6 Mark II First Impressions (large files)

3 months 6 days ago - 3 months 6 days ago #670822 by New but trying
I'm really impressed with this camera at the moment. I'm stuck with the kit lens for now, but I'm finding that it's surprisingly nice and I love the files the camera gives. The ergonomics are great, as is the autofocus (it's remarkably good in low light too, maintaining its speed). The following are some shots I took walking around. I don't typically do much street photography, but it was a refreshing change of pace. I think I'll eventually do a full review once I've gotten more experience with it.

Btw, if you hadn't tried a mirrorless camera lately, you should (they're really great). Kinda funny how I went from a Nikon DSLR to a Canon mirrorless...

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 5 days ago #670852 by Crammer
WOW, those images look very sharp.  How's the video of that camera?

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago #670854 by New but trying
I haven't really done any video yet with it. It seems to upscale the 4K from a lower resolution unlike Sony and Fuji, so it won't be as sharp as those. Still, the colors are pleasing and the autofocus is still superb. Basically, it's great for casual use, but not the most capable camera for video.

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago #670856 by Crammer
I just added one to my wish list.   Going to look more into one.  Thanks for sharing!

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago #670881 by Jackson Rieger
Nice work and results!

Congrats on the new toy.

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago #670914 by Kenta
What's the dynamic range of that camera?  

Photo Comments

3 months 3 days ago #670918 by New but trying
Dynamic range isn't bad, actually. Not as good as a full-frame camera, but comparable to other APS-C cameras (which is to say about a stop less of dynamic range than FF). Still, I've been able to push shadows and pull highlights a fair bit. From what I gather, it's a lot better than some of Canon's previous sensors. I'll have to do some objective testing, but several sources corroborate this. Oh, and the 14fps is great for handheld exposure bracketing, though I think the built-in HDR is JPEG only.

Photo Comments

3 months 2 days ago #671010 by J Photo Man
Thumbs up, what sort of battery life are you seeing?

Photo Comments

3 months 11 hours ago #671201 by New but trying
I'm a bit hesitant to comment on battery life now. Generally, mirrorless cameras have shorter battery life than SLRs. Today, over 4 hours of shooting, I got 428 shots. It was in the 30s until the sun came out. I've heard of other people getting at least 500 shots. It all really depends. A spare or two is welcome.

Photo Comments

2 months 4 weeks ago #671324 by Cara Wilkins
I'm looking at the same camera for my brother!  

Photo Comments

2 months 4 weeks ago #671330 by New but trying
It's a pretty nice camera. Do note the downsides, namely the kinda weak battery life, limited lens selection, and the average video quality (at least for the class).

I've recently purchased a Canon EF-S 55-250 STM to adapt (which so far is great) and a Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4, so I'll also share my thoughts about those lenses in due time. I took these with the 55-250. Edits were done in Capture One 20, which does a great job of interpreting the RAW .cr3 files (note these don't open in all editing software). Sharpening and NR are slightly tweaked but close to default.

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS M6 Mark II
Lens: EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 500
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/400 sec
Captured: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 9:17am

A leucistic Mallard

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS M6 Mark II
Lens: EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 800
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/1250 sec
Captured: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 10:27am

a fairly heavy crop

Photo Comments
Attachments:

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Learning how to become a professional photographer might not be as hard as you think. With these tips on becoming a freelance photographer, you'll be able to get the process started more quickly.

Apr 01, 2020

The Haida M15 filter system is a great piece of photography gear that allows me to use the same filters with many different camera lenses.

Apr 01, 2020

If you're in need of some good reads during the pandemic, give this list of the best photography books a try. Each one is an Amazon best selling photography book!

Apr 01, 2020

Believing these photography myths can get you in a lot of trouble. Instead, use these photography tips and techniques to prepare yourself to build a better business.

Apr 01, 2020

To protect your camera gear (and your monetary investment), there are a few things you need to do. One of them is to use a bag that will protect your camera gear from breakage.

Mar 31, 2020

To make money in real estate photography, you need to take steps to ensure your prices can support your real estate photography business. Learn how to do that in this guide.

Mar 30, 2020

If you're currently under lockdown due to the COVID-19 virus and can't get out to take nature and wildlife photos, there are many things you can do to get your photos and gear organized.

Mar 30, 2020

For many Realtors, DIY real estate photography is necessary because they can't access or afford professional real estate photography services. Get some quick photography tips for Realtors in this guide.

Mar 27, 2020