Photography vs Photo-manipulation

1 month 3 weeks ago #670872 by Chester Foster
I forget where I saw a story that broke down how 500px had made the connection between what they had considered as photography vs what they had considered photo manipulation.   

I've been thinking about this, how can there be a defined clear line to separate or identify these?  Seems like this would be complicated and not 'one size fits all' scenarios.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago #670880 by Jackson Rieger
In my book, photo manipulations deals with distortion of reality, which on paper isn't photography.  If you cut something out of shot or add something, this is distorting reality, which technically isn't photography.  

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #670888 by effron
All art forms "distort" reality. I manipulate every photographic shot, I doubt ones and zeros in long lines would have much ascetic value.
I try not to go too deep, either I like a photo or I don't.

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #670891 by Nikon Shooter

Jackson Rieger wrote: If you cut something out of shot or add something, this is distorting reality, which technically isn't photography.  

Let's say, Jackson, that a beautiful picture was made of
a great subject, perfectly composed, in fantastic light…
but at SR, a fly landed on the nose of the subject right
there in a most obvious spot.

The shot is not photography if the fly is removed? Really?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #670898 by icepics
It isn't the truth of what was photographed, is it? But I've done sports and events and objects/subjects are not removed, that's the standard of ethics in photojournalism. If someone wants to edit out objects that's up to them; I guess it's still a photograph but I think it needs to be made clear somehow that the photo was edited, that there's something no longer real or true about what was actually there in the final image.

In art if a photograph is edited into another type of artwork it becomes a photo illustration. Usually the standard is that editing would include adjusting brightness, contrast, slight cropping, etc. More than that takes it into being a photo illustration because it's no longer strictly a photograph.

I don't know what 500pix considers it to be, they're in the business of making money from photos & photographers using their site, they aren't about art.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #670903 by effron

icepics wrote: ...the standard of ethics in photojournalism.

I agree with you 99% Sharon, except the above statement has become an oxymoron. There are more "ethics" at 500px than current media by a long stretch.

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #671018 by Jason Stevens
Are these the same people who say using a flash is a big no no?  LOL seriously create shots that work best for you, your vision and screw what others think.    Photography is an expression of you.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The holy trinity of landscape photography lenses includes three zooms - a wide-angle, a standard, and a telephoto. If you can fill out your kit with these lenses, you'll be sitting pretty!

Feb 20, 2020

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

Making great videos requires that you have the capability to record superb sound. Get critical audio recording tips in this tutorial on audio tips for videographers.

Feb 19, 2020

With these urban photography tips you'll have a better idea of the gear you need and the compositional choices to make in order to get the best shots.

Feb 18, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020

Starting a photography business requires you to do it in a way that is legitimate and legal. Get some critical tips on how to make your photography business legal in this quick tutorial.

Feb 17, 2020

Getting a beautiful canvas print requires much more than finding a good printer. Instead, you need to consider the various canvas print options in order to get the best-looking results.

Feb 17, 2020

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020