Is Anyone Else Using The Godox X2t System Transmitter and cell phone App?

4 years 3 months ago #671158 by CharleyL
I've owned the Godox X2tc camera flash control transmitter for several months. It is also the first time that I've owned a flash control transmitter with the full adjustment capability for 5 different groups of flash units, so it took me a while to get comfortable with it, mostly because my  old flash transmitter  never did more than just trigger the remote flash units. They had to be manually adjusted otherwise.

I'm really enjoying this new ability to finally be able to do everything from the camera, and very happy that I chose the Godox 2.6 gig X System equipment for my new studio. I'm also quite pleased that this new flash transmitter has a hot shoe on top of it, so that I can piggy back my old flash trigger transmitter to allow continued use of my old manually adjusted flash units in addition to my new Godox equipment, until I can afford to retire all of it.  I now have 4 Godox speedlites and 4 monolites, so I'm well on the way toward retiring the older equipment. 

Godox now offers a cell phone App that is supposed to allow full control of 5 or more groups of Godox X System flash units from a cell phone. The App is also supposed to be capable of triggering the camera shutter, but this camera shutter trigger feature seems to not yet be available for my new BLU Vivo + Android cell phone, although it is supposed to work with many other cell phones. When I try to use it to trigger my camera, the App displays a message indicating that it is not yet available for my cell phone. Guess I'll have to wait for the next software update for this.

I have played with this Godox App off and on for several months, when I've had some free time, and I could never get it to work properly. That is, until tonight. I have read, and re-read, my X2T transmitter manual many times, but it just wasn't clear to me how this App was supposed to work, and the App itself offers almost no clues to it's use. The X2t manual is translated Chinese, so it's quite difficult to understand in some places, unless you are fluent in the Chinese language, but it does list the Bluetooth password (way in the back).

What wasn't immediately obvious to me was that the App does not control the flash units directly. It controls the X2t transmitter via Bluetooth, and then the X2t controls the flash units. I have no idea why this wasn't clear to me for so long. You need to turn ON Bluetooth in the X2t  and then go to the cell phone App screen and select Bluetooth from the main App screen. Then Bluetooth ON in the Godox cell phone App as well, and then click on GBH-8075 in the list (much like a WIFI list). The Bluetooth identity of the X2t is GBH-8075. When it pairs up, you will need to enter a password. Enter 000000 (six zeros) as the initial password (not certain how to change the password, but I probably won't anyway). Then the cell phone App will link up to the X2t. Once linked, then go back to the main Godox App screen and choose Flash to access the screen that allows the setting of each group of flash units and operating of the manual test flash trigger button. You can even turn the modeling lights on and off from that screen of the cell phone App, but the App will not work at all until you pair up your Godox  X2t Bluetooth function with the cell phone App. The X2t transmitter must be ON and Bluetooth linked to the cell phone App for this all to work.

I hope this helps any new Godox X2t users. If you have any comments, please reply to this post. I'm becoming quite an expert on the Godox X System, mostly through trial and error. I don't seem to be as fast at figuring out this kind of thing as I once was, but I think I've got it all figured out now..

Charley

4 years 3 months ago #673294 by CharleyL
Just a bump, to hopefully find someone else using the Godox X2T transmitter and monolights/speedlites. It's been almost 3 weeks and no replies yet.
I kind of suspected that the Godox cell phone app to remotely control the lights and camera might be something so new that no one has tried it yet. Just looking to compare notes and share information on the whole Godox 2.6 gig control system. 

Charley

3 years 1 month ago #712041 by Starfungi
Hi Charley.
I am just setting up the X2T for my G85 and unable to find a phone to operate the camera using the app. However using your process I can manually operate the camera and X2T with the TT350o. I can then setup the Panasonic app to operate the camera and the system fires OK. 
Today is the first day of playing about but not too happy I cant use the Gotox app to fire the camera and adjust things.My friend has a IPhone with 100% success. I have a LG 30+ and a Nokia ^. Neither can operate the camera, also a Samsung tablet will not operate the camera but does all other functions.
I am wanting to use Gbracket to stack/bracket fungi images using 2 "slaves" 1 - the 350 and the other a Metz 34 CS-2.
I am off next weekend and was hoping tis would be setup by then.
How are you going as you haven't had any other responses since your last post.

Starfungi

3 years 1 month ago #712228 by CharleyL
Starfungi,

Sorry, I was never 100% successful in getting my cell phone and the Canon App to fully work together, but have moved on a bit from the X2Tc. My cell phone is a Blu Vivo X+ with lots of capability, but sadly it doesn't seem to be completely compatible with the Godox App. It controls the lights well, but will not trigger the camera, and yes I have connected them together.  I can adjust the lights from the cell phone through the X2T, but not do much else. I still have it in my field bag, but now use the Godox X Pro transmitters, mostly in my studio, because I have needed more "Groups" than the X2T has the capability of. The X2T can only operate 5 groups of lights, but the X Pro c transmitters can control up to 16 groups, 5 of them with TTL capability. I now have two X Pro c transmitters, and use them mostly for the studio. If we can get over COVID-19, I will be going out with my cameras and field kit again, so I'll be using the X2Tc again. Maybe by then, Blu and Godox can get my phone, App, and X2c to work fully with each other. No priority on this for me, so I haven't even checked to see if they have upgraded the App.

It's nice to know that others are using Godox. Maybe we can trade knowledge and experience, since Godox Tech Support seems to be almost non-existent. I like their products and have gone with them 100% for my lighting needs, but right now I expect that if any of it fails, that I will be just replacing it or fixing it myself. 

I use Bowens S mount for my softboxes, etc. They now make a double mount version of the speedlight to Bowens S mount head for light stands, so two rectangular speedlights can be put into one softbox. A round version for one round head speedlight is also now available. I don't have any of these yet, but they are on my list. The version that I have mostly get used in the field and monolights are more commonly used in my studio.

Charley

3 years 1 month ago #712279 by J Photo Man
No, but I have used their lights and wouldn't hesitate using anything else of theirs.  They make great stuff for the $$. 

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #712548 by CharleyL
I agree, and much of my studio and field lighting is Godox now. Best deal for the money out there.

Charley

3 years 1 month ago #712727 by ThatNikonGuy
Not that, but I have the Godox AD200 and it's exceed my expectations.  

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #712803 by CharleyL
Those AD200's are nice, aren't they.

The Godox X communication system works very well too. If you buy either an X Pro or X2T transmitter, you can remotely adjust and fire it, and receivers are available to adapt many other brands of speedlites to work with the Godox X transmitters. When I was in transition between my old speedlite system and Godox X, I used the Godox X2T transmitter, which has a pass-thru hot shoe on top of it, so I could stack my old transmitter and continue to use both my old speedlites and new Godox together, until I could afford to fully convert everything to Godox. I later switched my studio lighting to fully Godox with the X communication and bought two X Pro transmitters (one for spare or second camera) to control all of my Goxox studio monolights. My X2T transmitter is now in my speedlite bag and mostly used for field work with my five speedlights and external battery packs.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024