Will you send pricing to client before meeting them?

4 years 3 months ago #671211 by Sharna Lee
When a potential new client is adamant about sending pricing before you have met them, will you send the pricing?  

I'm finding about 40% of these sort of people don't sign up with me which is nearly double of what it normally is.  

I'd like to know what is your policy when dealing with people calling in asking for pricing?

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671225 by effron
Things have changed since I did this for money, but no I would have never just priced a product. There's more to it than just buying some prints, no?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671226 by garyrhook
Charles Lewis has free webinars that discuss this, and some useful advice for working your way around it. In a nutshell:

Step one is to get the person on the phone.
Step two is to engage them to find out what problem they're trying to solve.
Step three is to understand what is most important to them about getting photos of their family.
Step four is to communicate to the customer how you can capture memories and provide products that they'll treasure for years.

In other words, you have to engage the potential client and sell them on the experience right away. You're not selling photos, you're selling your skill.

If you have an inquiry that absolutely refuses to engage on a personal level (i.e. not texting or email) then they're not your client, right? In which case, send them on their way, and no loss to you. You've not wasted your time on a lead that wasn't going to pan out anyways, since they were just a price shopper.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671242 by Nikon Shooter

Sharna Lee wrote: … what is your policy when dealing with people calling in asking for pricing?

If they ask, they should know. They mainly want to make sure
they can afford your fee or compare it with what they have got.

Most of my client are corporation in manufacturing, cultural, and
others and the only private jobs I take are with people working
for them or within them. Fees are not so much a problem but high-
er quality is required.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671286 by Tim Dordeck
I agree with all of the above.  Really it boils down to being able to read the client for that first engagement.  Meaning, in Kenny Rogers words, "You got to know when to hold them, and know when to fold them".   Like already mentioned, if the client is corporate or someone that just needs to know if they can afford you, you'll want to get pricing to them.  However the others, you need to check out the reading that Gary mentioned so you can build that relationship, and build trust.  Which will support a higher premium you may be charging.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024