Real Estate photographers, what to do when home is dirty?

4 years 3 months ago #672013 by Cliff
When you get to a home that you are supposed to photograph and it’s not only staged, but the big problem is it’s VERY dirty.  What do you do?

Will you attempt to clean it up so your photos aren’t cluttered?  

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672016 by Nikon Shooter

Cliff wrote: What do you do? Will you attempt to clean it up so your photos aren’t cluttered?  

Certainly not! 

But the job is maybe meant to document the actual condition 
of the house at the time and this should be clear with the client.
The pictures should then reflect just that and not try to bring
any "glamour" in the shots… it could be for insurance purposes,

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672034 by garyrhook
+1 on "your job is to capture the current condition of the home."

If the realtor doesn't like what you get, the realtor should talk to the client. If the client wants the best sale, the client should do some work to suitably stage and present the house.

Not your problem.

That said, I would call the realtor, perhaps text some photos, and discuss a course of action. Which implies that contracts should include compensation for wasted time in the event of a problem.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672137 by robertsmith19
First of all, you should focus on the current situation of the home. If you think there are completely dirty then clean it first and then take the shots. Or if you feel there are less dirty things then you can remove them by some photo editing. I said if you see some dirty things then you can fix the photos with the help of photoshop. 

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672203 by Jason Stevens
Oh man I have seen some MESSY houses on the MLS.  Yeah, I'm sure people are just taking photos as they are.  

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672233 by effron
I wouldn't clean any part of a messy house, except my own.... physically or in photoshop. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674831 by SelSol
The reality of the situation when you’re shooting for real estate agents is that you have to understand that the agent paying you is under pressure from a client.  If you want to keep the relationship then you have to pick your battles.

All homes should be staged, which usually involves tidying in some degree.  You are not a cleaner, but usually tenanted houses simply aren’t photo ready, nor will they ever be, and whilst the photos won’t be top drawer, the house does still have to go to market, so just downing tools and leaving will get you disinstructed very quickly.

That said, if you turn up to a sale and the owner hasn’t even cleared the washing and drying up, then it’s time to pack up.

4 years 2 months ago #674926 by Tim Kelley
My job is to photograph the house, not be a maid.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674927 by Instamixes
I will clean the place where I have to shoot

4 years 2 months ago #675059 by Kenya See
Reading this thread reminds me of that History Channel show or might be discovery on horters.  So disgusting seeing how some people live with garbage pilled up all over.  :sick:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024