Photographers, what wild animals have you encountered while out shooting?

4 years 3 months ago #672444 by Ruby Grace
I'm more interested in hearing which animals you have encountered that could potentially harm you, that have a reputation as not very friendly to humans. 

This morning I got up early and was out looking for a good shot, when a coyote walked 4-5 feet away from me, who wasn't scared, and wasn't aggressive towards me.  He/she caught me off guard, and surprised me at the same time.  

What animals have you encountered in similar situations while out shooting?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672468 by effron
A bobcat, a cougar while hunting over thirty years ago, a black bear twice and the only one that gave me a serious pause, a Bull Moose.. I also had a rabid skunk get after me once, that was a thrill.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #672472 by Nikon Shooter
I was left alone by the beach for a short while in Frobisher Bay,
member of an Arctic oceaniographic expedition as photographer.

At a distance, I saw a group of walruses snoozing on the rocks
and I had the brilliant idea to get closer for some shots. I would
never have guessed these thing are so fast and, at times, so very
bad tempered. Sure, I got out to a safer distance but that was a
strong adrenaline rush.

A couple of skunks in the Laurentides mountains, that was close!
A white bear in Churchill would have been happy to have a taste
of us but we were in a tundra vehicle.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672513 by CaptNemo
+1 black bear and cougar, both were more scared of me, than I was of them.  

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672633 by Ruby Grace
I went to Google and did a search on photographer run in with wild animals and surprisingly elephants seem to be the most aggressive.  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672641 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ruby

Each continent has its own collection of 'potential nasties' ~ we are all aware of Africa's big-five animals, each of which is dangerous to man. We in Downunder-land also have our collection of nasties, and they come in various shapes ans sizes

Saltwater crocodiles, a damn sight more dangerous than alligators - all over northern Oz, and they are very efficient stalkers of people
= the first thing any boat tour guide tells people on the boat is 'nothing - absolutely nothing shows over the sides of the boat' during the tour

The funnel web spider - about 2inches across, lives in holes in the ground or fallen timber. Its bite will kill you quite easily
= we had one in the house a few years back, it arrived with some timber for the fireplace, we captured the spider and delivered it to the CSIRO for their use

The 'western inland Tiapan' snake - very rare but full grown is about 18 inches long. Its bite will kill a man in less than 60 minutes
= luckily they are rare and only 'way out in the outback' so I have never seen one

and this list could go on - but one also realises that traffic crashes consume more people that all the others combined

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:
4 years 3 months ago #672646 by effron

Ruby Grace wrote: I went to Google and did a search on photographer run in with wild animals and surprisingly elephants seem to be the most aggressive.  

Maybe with photographers, but in Africa Hippos kill more people yearly than crocs, elephants, lions combined. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672779 by Steve Zahra
Hmmm, good question.  I've seen bobcats, coyotes, snakes (not sure if this counts), and that's about it for me.  We head to Peru in July this year.  I'm sure I'm going to see more on that trip.  

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672873 by Mike McKinnon
Well, aside from the huge killer turtle, LOL nothing exciting for me.  Oh and the turtle if you didn't pick up on my sarcasm is just regular turtle at a pond near where I live.  

4 years 3 months ago #672941 by effron

Mike McKinnon wrote: Well, aside from the huge killer turtle, LOL nothing exciting for me.  Oh and the turtle if you didn't pick up on my sarcasm is just regular turtle at a pond near where I live.  

A couple years ago I stopped to move a rather large snapping turtle off a highway, and if that sucker could have stretched his neck another couple inches, I could have lost a finger or two. Talk about lacking gratitude.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672943 by Nikon Shooter
Next time, you let it cook there and you can eat it!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672960 by effron
I'll let you know, I leave road kill alone.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024