Will a hair line chip in lens front element effect image quality?

4 years 2 months ago #672580 by Sean Lamber
I almost bought a used 24-70mm from someone off Craigslist yesterday, however upon close inspection I noticed a tiny hair line chip about 1/8" long and as thick as very thick hair.  I hope that makes sense.  The guy said that won't make any difference in the photos.  Before buying I just wanted to make sure.  Would that be noticed under any circumstances? 

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #672605 by Nikon Shooter
On the front lens? That is not worth mentioning it since
it is well away from the minimum focusing distance BUT
that little hairline is a weak point in the structural integri-
ty of the glass and brings unstable properties with it like
reacting in an undesired way to cold etc.

Unless you get it for peanuts, Sean, don't.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672607 by Sean Lamber
OK, good to know.  Didn't even think about what that might do to the strength of the glass.  I was more concerned about the image quality, but you bring up a good point.  Now would you say this is still a concern if just surface level deep on the front glass element? 

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672613 by Nikon Shooter
Glass has a crystal structure and so material integrity
is always in balance with the stress within… other wise
it may crack longer or even shatter.

Glass cutters are only "scratching" the surface to brake
it but in a controlled way.

Optically, it won't matter (I wouldn't go for it cause I'm
a freak!) but mechanically may be an other matter.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672614 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM

Mind you, I have pros working with what looked
like bottles bottoms more than lenses.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672619 by Sean Lamber

Nikon Shooter wrote: ADDENDUM

Mind you, I have pros working with what looked
like bottles bottoms more than lenses.

I'm sorry, I'm not following you here?  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672621 by Nikon Shooter
By opposition to me wanting my gear to be perfect in
every possible ways, these pros showed themselves to
have all possible tolerances.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672625 by Sean Lamber
I see what you are saying.  Pro's are out there using gear that has character scars?  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672626 by Nikon Shooter
… and I said nothing of smudges, finger prints, dust!   :S  :sick:

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672642 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Sean

Is it possible for you to shoot some test images to confirm the seller's claims?

Shoot towards a bright light - place the lens at an angle to the light such that this tiny crack is in the light and see whether it throws refractions across the image itself

Personally - if it's only a minor crack and remembering that all the lens glass is tightly held by a metal body - it might not make a real difference. Only you can sort this out :)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 2 months ago #672644 by effron

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Sean

Is it possible for you to shoot some test images to confirm the seller's claims?

Shoot towards a bright light - place the lens at an angle to the light such that this tiny crack is in the light and see whether it throws refractions across the image itself

That makes too much sense, to test it....../s of course.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672645 by effron
Also, I still own an old 200 f/4 lens I bought for ten bucks from a dude that showed me a fair sized chip on the front element. I shot an entire roll of film from every light angle and aperture and found NOTHING in the processed images to suggest any defects. 
Like stated above by ozzie, you need to test it, with digital, its a few minutes of time, no?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672803 by Ted Baker
You might get some funny business if you are pointing the camera directly at light.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672817 by Nikon Shooter

Ted Baker wrote: You might get some funny business if you are pointing the camera directly at light.

This is the very first consequence and it is
possibly not easy to correct!

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673007 by effron

Ted Baker wrote: You might get some funny business if you are pointing the camera directly at light.

Maybe, maybe not...but I didn't use the lens to photograph the sun.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024