The Outdated Fuss About Exposure

4 years 2 months ago #673790 by Nikon Shooter

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: Not everyone goes in for -or is capable of- extensive PP and the associated rendition of an image

Phil, I love my work because it is simple, easy and done
in a jiffy. Sure, I sometimes have to satisfy the require-
meant of some publisher but I like to keep simple: to get
quickly to a natural rendition of all the features of an ima-
ge. 

I can skip many of the tweaks many will take the time to
consider as I never apply extra saturation, sharpness, or
even the very popular vibrance (that doesn't exist in CO!).

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673806 by effron
Why be concise....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673899 by Nikon Shooter

As a publishing photographer working mainly in the E6 spheres,
there was nothing else than exposure, it made it or it killed it.

Nothing else than exposure because after that it was either the
bin or the publisher's desk. This was the right time to make all
that fuss about exposure.

Today, exposure is only getting it in the ball park: the histogram.
— things are really getting interesting once up in the converter's
window. From the strict readout of the recorded data with trans-
lated dynamics to the most sophisticated PP, everything is possi-
ble IF the recorded quality is comfortably within the histogram.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673906 by effron
Yeah, but is a sum of all parts. I've had perfectly exposed photos rendered useless by bad framing, out of focus subject, photo bombers and a host of other issues no less important than nailing exposure. Everyone here knows how it works.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673907 by Nikon Shooter
???

I was purposely limiting this thread to exposure vs rendition
because before and after SR many things may happen and,
though we all know they are there, the introduction of other
issues you may have is not really appropriate or beneficial.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673938 by effron
Yes, we knew that, but
"there was nothing else than exposure, it made it or it killed it.", could have been confusing.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673942 by Tom-Dinning

Nikon Shooter wrote: It was serious business, not a fuss. in film times but it is now!

With digital recording technologies, dynamic range latitudes
are so great that as long as you consider the histogram and
the EV button on your camera as your best friends at capture,
exposure is NO MORE the ultimate criteria but rendition is.

It hurts me painfully when ever I hear/read: "good" exposure",
"well exposed" etc. How can they know how it was exposed?

I say that it is not with the exposure that the mastery lies but
with the rendition of a capture.

What do you say?

Different times, same language, different meanings.
personally, I get pissed at any reference to the technical aspects of photographs. I understand that is what people desire to make their pictures look better but it does remove any responsibility for clarity in the content and context (the concept that drove the photographer to take the image).

It also limits the viewers comments to a few simple and relatively inconsequential words. 

So, of course someone will say ‘good exposure’ or ‘good rendition’ because that about all they can think of.  
The only thing ‘taught’ or talked about in such places as this is technical aspects of the image and the nature of the equipment.

perhaps it’s time for someone to step up to the mark and talk about the ideas behind photography and how they can be improved.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674004 by John Landolfi

Tom-Dinning wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote: It was serious business, not a fuss. in film times but it is now!

With digital recording technologies, dynamic range latitudes
are so great that as long as you consider the histogram and
the EV button on your camera as your best friends at capture,
exposure is NO MORE the ultimate criteria but rendition is.

It hurts me painfully when ever I hear/read: "good" exposure",
"well exposed" etc. How can they know how it was exposed?

I say that it is not with the exposure that the mastery lies but
with the rendition of a capture.

What do you say?

Different times, same language, different meanings.
personally, I get pissed at any reference to the technical aspects of photographs. I understand that is what people desire to make their pictures look better but it does remove any responsibility for clarity in the content and context (the concept that drove the photographer to take the image).

It also limits the viewers comments to a few simple and relatively inconsequential words. 

So, of course someone will say ‘good exposure’ or ‘good rendition’ because that about all they can think of.  
The only thing ‘taught’ or talked about in such places as this is technical aspects of the image and the nature of the equipment.

perhaps it’s time for someone to step up to the mark and talk about the ideas behind photography and how they can be improved.

+1

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024