What if?

4 years 3 months ago #673609 by Tom-Dinning
What if you didn’t know anything about photography and entered an exhibition of photographs and prints to have a look around?

What would you talk about?
What information would you glean from each image?
What could you learn about photography?

when I take my great grand daughter to exhibitions which could include photographs she teaches me more than I ever could teach her.

Make: FUJIFILM
Model: X-T1
Lens: XF10-24mmF4 R OIS
ISO: 1600
Aperture: f/4.0
Shutter speed: 1/25 sec
Captured: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 11:25am

A conversation about photography.

Me: What do you think of this one, Nevayah?
Her: Well, it’s about my people. You know. The once that we’re here first. 
Me: You mean ‘indigenous’.
Her: Yeah!. Black people like me.
Me: You’re white and blonde.
Her: I’m black on the inside. My Dad told me that. so did Nan. 
Me: So, what’s going on in the picture then.?
Her: Well, Theres crocs here. I’ve seen them. And dugongs and turtles. I’ve eaten dugong? The man might be hunting the croc or it might     be frightening him. He’s hunting anyway. But he’s lost his spear. All he’s got now is a flag. Maybe someone took His spear away and gave him a flag instead. 
Me: Do you thing it means something? Is it like a story? 
Her: (Pondering as in the photo) You need to understand, Poppy. We were here first. Someone came and took our land and to make sure, they planted a flag on a beach. Then they took away all the things we did for a long time before. Now we want it back. Not the land, so much. you can still live here. We just want to hunt crocs again. With spears.
Me: Why can’t you do that now. Can your Dad do that? Or your Nan?
Her: You don’t get it, do you, Poppy?
Me: No, I guess I don’t.
Her:  That’s because your not black like me. 

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #673611 by Tom-Dinning

How is it possible to learn about ‘art’ without knowing about the technicalities?
While walking along the road to the future I asked a wise man how I could become a better photographer. 
“Whatever you do and learn, do not forget to become a better person”, he replied.
I walked the path to the future with him for many miles. He told me little of the technicalities of photography yet we talked incessantly about photographs. Not once did he tell me how, what, when, why. Instead, we spoke the thoughts of present and past, of context and content, of beauty, ethics, philosophy, the ways of the world, science and nature. With each step I photographed what I saw. Not once did he ever ask to see my photos. He only ever asked if I was enjoying what I was doing.
That was 60 years ago. I’ve not yet reached the future. It is no closer than it ever was. The wise man has left me. He reached his destination long ago.

Every photograph I have ever taken has meaning to me. Are they better? It doesn’t matter. I don’t compare them to then. Nor do I compare them to photographs of others. There is no point. 
Each photo is a moment in time. Each photo is different to the next.
i was hungry to learn back then, but about the wrong thing. The old man taught me that I will, on my path to the future, learn about myself and the photos will reflect that learning. 
Now when I look at other people’s photographs I see what they mean. They are moments in time of that person as they move out of the past to the present and into their future. I see what interests them, in what place they stood, who they met along the way, what beauty they saw and what dramas unfolded.
Now I know what the wise man meant by being “a better person”.
When I look at photographs I see live as the photographer saw it.

“You can’t understand someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON 1 V3
Lens: 1 NIKKOR VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6
ISO: 1600
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Captured: Sun, 27 May 2018 8:51am

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 3 months ago #673612 by Paris Gal
Good question.  Kind of hard to answer because it would require to forget what I do know.  But I suspect it would be more from an artistic and historic standpoint.  Seeing that things that I admire today like composition and lighting wouldn't likely be of interest at the level it is for me today.  

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673626 by Tom-Dinning

Paris Gal wrote: Good question.  Kind of hard to answer because it would require to forget what I do know.  But I suspect it would be more from an artistic and historic standpoint.  Seeing that things that I admire today like composition and lighting wouldn't likely be of interest at the level it is for me today.  

Not forget, Paris, but to put aside. That’s not an easy thing to do for most humans. We rely on what we know. It’s our ‘second nature’. 
aome photographers are satisfied with what they know and trust in it to achieve what they desire. But there are pitfalls in this.

We can often be oblivious to , even unaccepting of other ways.
we also become reliant on the opinions of others for our satisfaction or reward in our own product.
This is necessary if we are earning a living from our photos. After all we all need to eat.
But there are many of us who just want to to take photographs for our own pleasure. Many here, I’m sure, have no ambition to become slave to the market place.

Whatbim suggesting is that some here might find a more relaxed and personal way to enjoy their pastime without the rigours of critical review by a multitude who’s expertise is untested, questionable, dubious and totally unnecessary to achieve a personal goal.

Finding value in an image without the constraints of rules, guidelines, suggestions, opinions and the likes and dislikes of others might be a path that is more satisfying for some, more rewarding, at times more challenging because, as you say, some in-learning is needed.

Heres a ‘What If?” for you.
Younhave been asked to give a TEDx Talk about photography to an audience who has no interest in the way photos are taken or the technical aspects of cameras, exposure and processing. 
What would your topic be?
What would you talk about?
What sort of images would you show?
What outcomes would you hope for? 

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673648 by Inez Villarin
+1 more from artistic approach

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673649 by Inez Villarin
"You have been asked to give a TEDx Talk about photography to an audience who has no interest in the way photos are taken or the technical aspects of cameras, exposure and processing. 
What would your topic be?"

I would approach it from a story telling experience about the shot, why it's meaningful to you as the artist.  Address any challenges with getting the shot or interesting fun facts about that particular area where the photo was taken. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024