At what point do you offer discounts on canvas prints when requested from client

4 years 2 months ago #673739 by KENT MELTON
I have a client that originally ordered (8) 24x36" canvas prints from their wedding.  They just called me today and asked if they would get a discount if they stretched that order to a total of 15 as some of the family have expressed wanting prints.  

Would you offer a discount and cut some of your profit margins down for (15)?  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673748 by Scott Klubeck
100% depends on your existing profit margins and what you will gain from the increase in order.  I'll also consider the client who is ordering as well and possible future business.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673811 by effron

Scott Klubeck wrote: 100% depends on your existing profit margins and what you will gain from the increase in order.  I'll also consider the client who is ordering as well and possible future business.  

Roger that.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673857 by Frost Photography
I agree, if you have the margin to do so, and depending on the client, yes I would give a discount.  You could even get creative and stated that because of the tight margins of the prints from your supplier, that instead you will give them a 25-30% discount on the next time they book with you.  Therefor you set the stage on there isn't breathing room on the canvas.  However you want to give them something of value.  Which is the savings on your services next time.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673865 by Stanly

Frost Photography wrote: I agree, if you have the margin to do so, and depending on the client, yes I would give a discount.  You could even get creative and stated that because of the tight margins of the prints from your supplier, that instead you will give them a 25-30% discount on the next time they book with you.  Therefor you set the stage on there isn't breathing room on the canvas.  However you want to give them something of value.  Which is the savings on your services next time.  

Yep, good point  :agree:  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673871 by garyrhook
We don't know what your cost is, nor what you are charging, but Bay Photo (good quality) charges $184 for that size, and Canvas Press (modest quality) would run you $100 on sale. Assuming your customer is paying on the order of at least $300 each (and it should be higher) then

Yes, you offer a discount for 15 copies of the same thing that requires zero additional effort on your part (aside from typing two digits into a form). Their goodwill has a much higher value than money. And you might ought to consider a sliding discount scale for your customers, in any event. One presumes that, for a wedding, they bought a package, and this is extra stuff, which should be discounted.

Congratulations on having a customer willing to spend a 4 or 5 figure sum with you. That's awesome. Now make their experience unforgettable.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674031 by Garbo
:agree:  

Best advise - "Now make their experience unforgettable."

At the end of the day, this is what matters the most.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674069 by Ian Stone
It all boils down to margins and simple economics.  If there is breathing room and I feel the client would appreciate (and by that possibly give more business in the future), then I'll go with it.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674211 by Don Granger
I don't give discounts, I stick to my prices most of the times.  Once you start going down the discount path, people expect it again.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674486 by KENT MELTON
Well thanks everyone.  Good stuff to consider here.  I think I have my answer, or at least a starting point to mow it over.   

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674612 by J Photo Man
Where are you getting your prints from?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674809 by Fran Welch
I have a good friend who has been a wedding photographer for nearly 25 years, and she never gives discounts on prints of any sort.  She'll offer the client a discount on her services as a good faith.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024