Whats the color temperature of a church with only candle light?

4 years 2 months ago #674617 by MYoung
I just got a call and a possible new client.  They are getting married in July and what's interesting about their wedding is that the church will only be lit by candles.  So, that's a first.  I'm just thinking about things right now and wondering what would the color temperature in Kelvin or ball park?  

Thank you

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674618 by garyrhook
It will be very warm, and there will be very little light. They are not doing you any favors.

It's also asinine when your guests can't see what's going on. But that's just me.

I would suggest you adopt a B&W policy for that kind of situation. There won't be any color to speak of anyways.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #674626 by Randy Shaw
Take a look at the chart below.  You are going to be right around 1000 to 2000K.  Just make sure you are shooting in RAW, that way you can adjust the white balance in post afterwards.  

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #674627 by MYoung
Perfect and I just heard that I can't use a tripod.  Hmmm, this will get interesting.   

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674636 by icepics
I've only ever done a few pictures by candlelight (with some window light). It was done using higher speed/faster B&W film. I got the person near the candle, up fairly close (within maybe a few feet), with the background dark.

I don't know that I'd want to take on something like this without having done something like this before. I'm wondering if there'd be any way to try something similar, but I can't think of anything other than candlelight services etc. more around the holidays. You'd probably need to be aware of where you can set up to be getting as much light as possible on the subjects. Or if you haven't yet committed to it then, I don't know... it could be challenging if all you'll have is candlelight for the ceremony to be sure you'd be able to get some nice photos.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674643 by Nikon Shooter
How can 1000°K be warmer that 5000°K ?

The scale used to measure colour temperature is in Kelvin degrees.
The scale used to appreciate colours tones is artistic, read cultural.

When art was describing colour tones, there were no measuring
scale to use and lord Kelvin was not yet born. In art, warmer tones
are in fact colder than the measured colour temperature.

Photography apps are facing the same problem: "How to set up the
colour temperature slider direction?" Measure (in °K) and apprecia-
tion (in art) are going in different directions.

The dilemma was with a compromise: using the Kelvin scale for precise 
references, the art definition or description of what warmer tones are.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674649 by effron
Why does it matter? Shoot in RAW and one click fix the WB in ACR (post).....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #674656 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM AND CORRECTION

How can 1000°K be warmer than 5000°K ?

The scale used to measure colour temperature — or more precisely
kinetic energy levels — is the Kelvin scale. OTH, the scale used to
appreciate colours tones is artistic, read cultural, at human scale.

When art was describing colour tones, there were no measuring
scales to use and lord Kelvin was not yet born. In art, warmer tones
refer to the human experience associating the "warmer" colours of
fire and the heat radiating from it and blue to cold. So red is artisti-
cally warmer than blue… technically, it is the other way around.

In the visual spectrum, from red to violet, the warmer tones are seen
at the lower part of it and the colder ones like violet at the higher end.

The same visual spectrum is an integrated part of the Kelvin scale and
is a very narrow band in it.

Reds are measured as cold in K temperature in the visible spectrum,
they extend to so called infra red and are felt as hot by the skin. The
higher end — from blue to violet — are warmer on that scale though
artistidally described as cooler.

Photography apps have a problem: "How to set up the WB slider direction?"
Measure (in K) and expression (in art) are going in different directions.

The dilemma was solved with using the Kelvin scale — from left cold to right
warm — for precise references — and the art definition or description of what
​warmer tones are — from cold to warm. Confusing.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674776 by ThatNikonGuy
Good post

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024