Will APS-C die off, replaced with full frame cameras?

4 years 2 months ago #674737 by Randy Shaw
A lot more full frame cameras coming onto the market for far less $$.  Could we see a uphill road to extinction for APS-C cameras?  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674738 by effron
Well, yes and no.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674740 by Nikon Shooter
Given the number of DX lenses on the market already, and
the retrofit tradition at Nikon for one, they may bring out
fewer models but I don't think extinction is the right word.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674767 by KCook
If so - Fuji has a big, big problem

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 2 months ago #674782 by fmw
Will APS-C die off, replaced with full frame cameras?

I don't think so.  For a lot of us the charm of the mirrorless camera is smaller size and lower weight.  I think mirrorless cameras, however, will eventually replace SLR's.  They are more compact, simpler, cheaper to manufacture and more reliable.  But there will be format choices for everyone.  I would like something even smaller than APS-C but for me it competes just fine with "full frame."

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674795 by effron
Yup, not any time soon....however, nothing lasts forever and aps-c sensor cameras will someday be kaput.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #674801 by Piechura
I think we might see a greater percentage of proper cameras being full frame, but perhaps because of pressure from the other end. Camera phones have already almost killed off compact cameras, and as they improve, people who are in the market for a proper camera may be tempted to go for something that is more noticeably better. It might not even be that sales of full frames go up, just that more people at the lower end realise that they don't really need a proper camera to get results they're happy with.

4 years 2 months ago #674876 by Overread
I think as the price point is reduced on full frame, more folks will be naturally going this route, which over time will diminish APS-C over long term.    

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
4 years 2 months ago #675038 by Monica Lafforgue
To many people using APS-C for any of the manufactures to pull the plug.  Look at Micro 4/3rds, and that format is still in full swing by some.  

I don't think it will die off anything soon.  Just my 2 cents.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024