How are you finding new spots to photograph?

4 years 2 months ago #674867 by Carter Gledhill
I should say, what is your method for finding new spots to photograph?

Do you get into your car and just drive around?  Consult with Google street view?  Is there a secret website that upon getting locational input will reveal the best spots?  

4 years 2 months ago #674871 by Brachenland
It's a combination of trips from the past with current trips when a camera was not available. But one has a cellphone or GPS device to map out a specific location. One map we use is an offline navigation app on a tablet. Once we locate a location which we want to return to simply add your current spot on the map as a saved way point. The problem here, is things change and those save location may not look as they did when you first seen them. So we do drive around but for a reason, not just to look for shots.. but attend events, visit family, etc.

Here's a for instance, in my "Still Waters Solitary Tree" image we were in TN and stopped at a road side nursery. While the wife was looking through the plants indoors, I was across the tree taking a picture of the flooded park. This is how we discover pictures to take, totally by surprise.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674887 by Carter Gledhill
Ok, so your spots are influenced by trips. Cool beans.  Is your wife into photography or just you?

4 years 2 months ago #674903 by KCook
Some social sites (Facebook for example), provide for Groups for photography in certain regions. I simply lurk to see where others are shooting, once in a while I get surprised.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 2 months ago #674909 by Nikon Shooter
None of these.

I think the subject has a minor part to play in my shooting
drive (when not working). I always have gear with me and
if I'm awake, I hunt… anything, anywhere, any time.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675032 by Sanford
I go to Google and type in where I want to go and look at what comes up for image results.  You can usually get some good ideas there.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #675033 by Brachenland
Just wanted to follow up:
Because the wife and I aren't willing to hike extreme distances, I'm sure I'll miss some ideal shots. Knowing this and depending on your flexibility/mobility, I feel you'll have more options available to you or at least more then how we approach these images. I mean If I was 20 years young, I'd be tromping further into the woods.

As for the wife, I feel she is developing an eye because she's been following me around and can spot a few things I may have missed. But she doesn't want a camera even after I've offered to purchase one for her. Maybe one day I'll just have to surprise her.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675035 by Monica Lafforgue
1. Other photographers
2. Photos from online 
3. Google street view
4. Chance 

4 years 2 months ago #675053 by effron
Everywhere I go there's a lot to photograph. I also always have gear with me at all times.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675111 by Mike McKinnon
Driving around and from our hikes we go on

4 years 2 months ago #675200 by CanonKid
All of the above.  I ask people at my photography meet up as well.  Gold mine there.  

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675915 by Wendy Walker
Я спрашиваю друзей и знакомых, знают ли они места, где нас можно сфотографировать, и мы обсуждаем сайты вместе. Если они расскажут мне о месте, о котором я не слышал, мы поищем информацию об этом в Интернете.Я также смотрю блоги и Instagram: иногда оттуда можно получить представление о новом сайте для фотосессии!

4 years 2 months ago #675921 by Roman Omell
Never underestimate asking people.  Locals in a town you are visiting or just people in general that you know.  Looking at Instagram photos for that area is very helpful too.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676017 by Jason Stevens
Instagram, Google images, Google maps/street view and word of mouth.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024