Fixing filter threads that have been damaged

4 years 2 months ago #674897 by Jacko
Can you fix filter threads that have been damaged from falling to the ground?  Two threads in are damaged.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674899 by Brachenland
Because lens threaded filters are less expensive, so it's easier to just purchase a new filter as it would take more time and effort to repair any damaged thread. I'm not saying it can't be done, but one would have to know someone with a metal lathe.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674914 by Nikon Shooter
Brass rings are more reliable than aluminium.
Heavier and more expensive. though.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #674970 by effron
Filter threads on a lens? It depends, and sometimes they'll still accept a filter even damaged.
Just asking because I've dropped a myriad of adapters and filters and NEVER damaged the threads on either....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675042 by garyrhook
He said "filter threads" not "threads on a filter". We don't know if this means the threads on lens, or on a filter.

Cheap filters can be malleable. Cheap rings, too. Just sayin'....

A better problem description would be helpful, but there's not much to be done, in any event.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675175 by Jacko
Sorry guys, I was talking about the threads on the front of my 24-70mm.  Two threads are bent.  Can these be fixed? 

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675182 by effron
Not by user. Have you tried a filter on it? I've had a couple lenses with beat up threads that still accepted screw on filters. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #675245 by Jacko

effron wrote: Not by user. Have you tried a filter on it? I've had a couple lenses with beat up threads that still accepted screw on filters. 

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675246 by Jacko

Jacko wrote:

effron wrote: Not by user. Have you tried a filter on it? I've had a couple lenses with beat up threads that still accepted screw on filters. 

No, I didn't want to chance screwing up the threads or filter. The threads are pretty messed up, it was a hard fall.  I think I'm just going to send it in and see if they can fix it.  Thank you. 

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675254 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day jacko

Just seen this thread ...
You can easily repair your lens's damaged filter threads =if= you are a bit of a DIY fella and have some time & patience
You will want a few items first...
a) cut a piece of paper the size of the glass lens element to protect the front element
b) find some soft-ish wood - maybe a bit of tree branch about 1-1/2" diameter - cut a wedge about 1/2" thick
c) find a small hammer - possibly called an 'upholstery hammer'
d) holding the lens on your knee (coz then you'll know not to hit too hard) tap wood gently so that threads are slowly returned to original position

It might take 1/2-hour of tapping away - so don't lose patience and give up
nothing's impossible or too hard :)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 2 months ago #675497 by Prago
I would still have a pro fix it

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024