What to do when a client doesn't pay for their wedding photos?

4 years 2 months ago #675022 by Monica Lafforgue
Back in November I shot a very small wedding that the client did pay their deposit and they did sign contract.  There was only $575 that was left remaining, and the day of the wedding which they had already made arrangements for the balance would be paid, they asked if they could have another month to pay, and for me to keep the photos till they paid.  I decided to do something I NEVER do and shot the wedding with out being fully paid.  It's been now nearly 4 months and they aren't responding to my messages.  

I've not sent the photos, and as mentioned the balance is only $575.  What would you do here?  I have offered payment option in one of the messages I left them also.  Offering for them to pay me $150 per month till paid.  Again, no response.  

Thank you for your help. 

Monica 

4 years 2 months ago #675039 by garyrhook
You got paid a (reasonable?) deposit, that hopefully covered your time at the wedding? You haven't done any editing yet, until final payment is received? Based on how I spend my time, you should be ahead at this point.

If you have completed the work without the payment, that's something you can learn from. And not having that final payment before you show up to the wedding is another learning opportunity. If they are threatened with no photos through breach of contract (there's a contract, right?) that's on them.

Again: we presume monies paid up front cover your time on the calendar, and editing waits until full payment. Only in that way can you stay ahead, even if they flake.

At this point, set them aside. If they want them, they'll come back. And they can figure out how to pay for them. But no images until final payment. It's not cruel to draw a line and stick to it.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675052 by effron
I agree with "set the photos aside" and wait for them. I'd also be ringing up interest in case they decide to do the honorable thing in the future.
Let this be a learning experience.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675099 by Ian Stone
Seems like a time black hole.  As Gary already mentioned, hopefully you have a deposit/retainer that covers your time.  Sit on the photos, and when they finally get around to responding, you can collect then with a little interest. 

Are you sure they are still together?  Perhaps they got a divorce already?  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675192 by Mike McKinnon
Yep, that sucks.   Nothing else to post that hasn't been said already.  Just I feel for you.  Sucks to get ripped off. 

4 years 2 months ago #675390 by Monica Lafforgue
OK, understood.  So how long would you keep the photos?  I know they don't take up much space, but still just curious from a legal standpoint, how long are we as photographers liable for keeping?

4 years 2 months ago #675392 by effron
No contract? Doesn't matter.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675410 by garyrhook
+1 on the above. I don't think you're liable at all, unless there was some verbal discussion/agreement.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675518 by ShutterPal
A couple years locally, if I need to move them, stuff them on the cloud for a few years.   

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #759048 by abdulwahab219
You should send a certified letter to the clients stating that they are in breach of contract for not paying the remaining balance of $575. The letter should also state that the I will not release the photos until the balance is paid in full. If the clients do not respond to the certified letter, you need to take legal action to collect the debt.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024