Photographers who have a pickup truck - storing gear in exterior lock bins?

4 years 1 month ago #675284 by Red Tail
I just picked up a new Ford pick up and was wondering about storing my gear in the back in the newly attached storage bin.  These have locks on them, made of metal and bolted to body of my truck.  I don't want to leave my gear in the back seat of the truck in the open.  These are not dust proof and I was thinking about the vibrations.  Should these be concerns?

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675298 by effron
You need to pad the box of course. I have an extended cab PU, darkened windows. I leave my gear in the back for short periods in the right places. Not many "right" places in the more urban areas though.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675299 by Nikon Shooter
Pad and seal the box should be cheap and easy but
the greatest safety tip is this is discretion. In my plan-
ce, I feel very secure but where you are may be tricky.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675320 by garyrhook
How often have you heard of truck boxes being broken into?

If no one sees you put something into it, no one is going to know. Thieves go for the easy, sure stuff. That's the whole point of hiding things: not making them safer, but making them unknown.

Have you considered tinted windows, and storing things on the floor in back? Again, if things can't easily be seen, they won't attract attention.

All IMO, of course.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675424 by Matt Nguyen

garyrhook wrote: How often have you heard of truck boxes being broken into?

If no one sees you put something into it, no one is going to know. Thieves go for the easy, sure stuff. That's the whole point of hiding things: not making them safer, but making them unknown.

Have you considered tinted windows, and storing things on the floor in back? Again, if things can't easily be seen, they won't attract attention.

All IMO, of course.

True, but it isn't like there is a website where anyone with a pickup truck gear locker that gets broken into can post.  Most don't hear about something unless it's major news.  My brother has been in construction all his life.  Locked gear bins means there could be expensive tools to protect.  He has had two break ins in the last 15 years or so.   Just power tools stolen.  A crow bar can open many of these up.  

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675453 by KenMan
Hey Matt, there are definitely boxes that are far more difficult to get in.  I know people in construction too, or people that have these sort of boxes in their trucks, and some of these are built like tanks.   Just saying.  

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675558 by Photo Amigo
Yep, true.  You get what you pay for.  Cheap bins are easy to get into.  

4 years 1 month ago #675666 by Red Tail
OK, thank you all.  I'm shopping around and think once I find one, I'm going to get a custom foam insert made.   That should do the trick.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024