Fear in street photography

4 years 1 month ago #675719 by FUNNY-STAR
Hi, I,m a 13 year old photographer, i have photographed like 2 years now. I started street photography some days ago. I live in a city full of people 100 000 and more. My question is how do i overcome fear of photographing people infront of them? 

4 years 1 month ago #675723 by Nikon Shooter
Well… maybe start with people who would understand your
motivation? …like at school, playground, park, or else. Family
or friends?

I never had that fear myself as I started at 17. I was discrete and
quite big… just to make sure.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675746 by icepics
Don't stand right in front of them... sit and do some people watching. Search for well known past street photographers and study what they did (like Garry Winogrand, Joel Meyerowitz, Elliott Erwitt, Saul Leiter). I think many that have been successful spent time in and around neighborhoods so people got used to them being there.

I've done sports and events; it often takes waiting a few moments til people'd look at me, look around wondering what I was photographing!, then realize I'm not that interesting to watch and go about their business.

Trust your instincts, if something is telling you to move on, then go. I did a job doing home visits and always looked around before getting out of the car (I remember a couple of times not even turning off the engine much less getting out of the car!). Particularly in neighborhoods where there are shootings, drug activity, etc. I usually went in the morning, and spring into summer things always get more lively. Be respectful to the people that live there; think about how you'd feel if someone was in your neighborhood shoving a camera in your face. Stay safe out there.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675750 by icepics
Links below (Winogrand you should find plenty about in a search).

Many photographers might be considered to have done street photography as well as landscapes (outdoor or urban), portraiture, etc. so may not be strictly just street photographers.

www.icp.org/browse/archive/constituents/...tz?all/all/all/all/0

www.lensculture.com/articles/saul-leiter...-and-black-and-white

www.magnumphotos.com/photographer/elliott-erwitt/

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675853 by effron

icepics wrote: Don't stand right in front of them... sit and do some people watching.

That's a fact. If people get comfy with you, you'll get better shots and way less push back.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675911 by Wendy Walker
The main thing is to start. Go out on the street, as already advised above, watch the people. To make it easier for you, try calling a family member or friend with you. Try shooting them on the street. Of course, they will also need to overcome the fear of being photographed in a public place, but at some point you will be liberated and forget about where you are.At first, I was also afraid to take pictures of people on the street, to take pictures of some object on the street, but over time everything passed as soon as I started doing it more often. I realized one thing: few people on the street pay attention to what and how you photograph :) Everyone is busy with their own business or in a hurry for business.

4 years 1 month ago #676227 by zilla82
Good advice here so far. Also have the shot as framed in your mind as you can first. Giving off the energy of a confident quick shot rather than experimenting people makes a psychological difference. Allow even more time if you like to shoot manual (I do - for better or worse!)

Also getting into a different position, anything other than eye level, like crouching, laying down, is not always a good thing creativity-wise, but also puts you more into that "oh they are just a photographer screwing around" category which is less threatening, in my experience.

Optional but encouraged: Also walk around without a camera. Use just your eyes and your mind, and take a note ( I use evernote) of an area you want to revisit. This is much more from a scouting perspective, and using your own creativity to help train your eye. Sometimes your camera can also take you out of this experience, which is why I suggest it. Don't worry about "missing the shot" in this phase.

Good luck and have fun!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024