Fear in street photography

1 month 4 weeks ago #675719 by FUNNY-STAR
Hi, I,m a 13 year old photographer, i have photographed like 2 years now. I started street photography some days ago. I live in a city full of people 100 000 and more. My question is how do i overcome fear of photographing people infront of them? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 4 weeks ago #675723 by Nikon Shooter
Well… maybe start with people who would understand your
motivation? …like at school, playground, park, or else. Family
or friends?

I never had that fear myself as I started at 17. I was discrete and
quite big… just to make sure.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 month 4 weeks ago #675746 by icepics
Don't stand right in front of them... sit and do some people watching. Search for well known past street photographers and study what they did (like Garry Winogrand, Joel Meyerowitz, Elliott Erwitt, Saul Leiter). I think many that have been successful spent time in and around neighborhoods so people got used to them being there.

I've done sports and events; it often takes waiting a few moments til people'd look at me, look around wondering what I was photographing!, then realize I'm not that interesting to watch and go about their business.

Trust your instincts, if something is telling you to move on, then go. I did a job doing home visits and always looked around before getting out of the car (I remember a couple of times not even turning off the engine much less getting out of the car!). Particularly in neighborhoods where there are shootings, drug activity, etc. I usually went in the morning, and spring into summer things always get more lively. Be respectful to the people that live there; think about how you'd feel if someone was in your neighborhood shoving a camera in your face. Stay safe out there.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 month 4 weeks ago #675750 by icepics
Links below (Winogrand you should find plenty about in a search).

Many photographers might be considered to have done street photography as well as landscapes (outdoor or urban), portraiture, etc. so may not be strictly just street photographers.

www.icp.org/browse/archive/constituents/...tz?all/all/all/all/0

www.lensculture.com/articles/saul-leiter...-and-black-and-white

www.magnumphotos.com/photographer/elliott-erwitt/

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 month 4 weeks ago #675853 by effron

icepics wrote: Don't stand right in front of them... sit and do some people watching.

That's a fact. If people get comfy with you, you'll get better shots and way less push back.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

1 month 4 weeks ago #675911 by Wendy Walker
The main thing is to start. Go out on the street, as already advised above, watch the people. To make it easier for you, try calling a family member or friend with you. Try shooting them on the street. Of course, they will also need to overcome the fear of being photographed in a public place, but at some point you will be liberated and forget about where you are.At first, I was also afraid to take pictures of people on the street, to take pictures of some object on the street, but over time everything passed as soon as I started doing it more often. I realized one thing: few people on the street pay attention to what and how you photograph :) Everyone is busy with their own business or in a hurry for business.

1 month 3 weeks ago #676227 by zilla82
Good advice here so far. Also have the shot as framed in your mind as you can first. Giving off the energy of a confident quick shot rather than experimenting people makes a psychological difference. Allow even more time if you like to shoot manual (I do - for better or worse!)

Also getting into a different position, anything other than eye level, like crouching, laying down, is not always a good thing creativity-wise, but also puts you more into that "oh they are just a photographer screwing around" category which is less threatening, in my experience.

Optional but encouraged: Also walk around without a camera. Use just your eyes and your mind, and take a note ( I use evernote) of an area you want to revisit. This is much more from a scouting perspective, and using your own creativity to help train your eye. Sometimes your camera can also take you out of this experience, which is why I suggest it. Don't worry about "missing the shot" in this phase.

Good luck and have fun!

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Is Canvas On Demand a good option for getting a canvas print? In this Canvas On Demand review, find out if their products meet their sales pitch of "premium products" or if the canvas falls short.

Apr 09, 2020

Photography bags and camera bags should not only be comfortable to carry, but functional, durable, and help you organize your gear too. These bags do the trick!

Apr 08, 2020

This Max Art Pro canvas print review offers insights into the quality of Max Art Pro canvases, as well as a few things about Max Art Pro, like their products, promo codes, return policy, and more.

Apr 08, 2020

Dragging big, heavy, and complicated lighting gear around simply isn't necessary. With these portable lighting tips, you can get the light you need without the frustration and expenditure of money!

Apr 07, 2020

In this Nations Photo Lab metal print review, learn about the quality of my metal print, as well as details about Nations Photo Lab, Nations Photo Lab products, and much more!

Apr 07, 2020

With these tips for photographing real estate, you'll learn how to prep a home for photos in the springtime for maximum visual appeal.

Apr 07, 2020

Shutterfly is a household name for photographic prints. In this Shutterfly metal print review, find out if this popular Shutterfly product is a must or if you should skip it.

Apr 06, 2020

The mirrorless vs. DSLR debate has raged for years. So which one is best for 2020? Find out in this camera gear comparison guide.

Apr 06, 2020