Selling camera gear on ebay?

5 months 4 days ago #675905 by J Photo Man
Have you sold any camera gear on ebay before?   I'm trying to find what sort of fees do they charge for this.  I can't seem to find a camera, photo, or anything relating on:  https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4364#fvf

Also is there any other sites besides Craigslist you would recommend? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 3 days ago #675925 by effron
I sold quite a lot on ebay years ago, I hear the fees can get expensive now. Some still find it a good market, better than CL methinks. My issue came from paypal, who allowed me to get scammed. (wasn't successful and PP got mad)
Know the rules, read reviews and research, etc.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

5 months 3 days ago #675934 by garyrhook
Yes, I use eBay. There might be a listing fee (often waived) and then a final value fee to the seller.
I don't think I've ever been hit with a 10% fee for a lens. You can probably consider it to be 3.5%, but I've not sold anything for a while.

Photo Comments

5 months 3 days ago #675958 by Roman Omell
Pretty sure you will pay 10% when it sells and another 2% to PayPal.   

Photo Comments

5 months 3 days ago #676041 by Frost Photography
+12% is about what you are going to be wacked.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments

5 months 2 days ago #676062 by Olivia
I avoid ebay as much as I can.  Sorry, the fees IMO are just too high.  

Photo Comments

5 months 2 days ago #676152 by Cory J
The problem with Ebay is their fee schedule is just to high if you ask me.  10% is highway robbery.  5% would be much more fair.  Then you get nailed 2% from PayPal.  

Photo Comments

5 months 1 day ago #676237 by Jeff Scott
I prefer to use Craigslist, ebay is to rich for me.  Rates are to much.  

Photo Comments

5 months 13 hours ago #676259 by effron
I'm not the one to defend ebay, but if you compared what a reseller like KEH, or MPB offers for your gear, you'd gladly pay a 2% to 5% fee and you'd do nothing but package and ship. I used them for years and did well. Not every sale is like the other.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

5 months 10 hours ago #676264 by garyrhook

effron wrote: I'm not the one to defend ebay, but if you compared what a reseller like KEH, or MPB offers for your gear, you'd gladly pay a 2% to 5% fee and you'd do nothing but package and ship. I used them for years and did well. Not every sale is like the other.

Yeah, I just quoted my Nikon 85mm f/1.4D at KEH, and the offer is $204. They're selling for $400 on eBay.

I'll take my chances with an auction.

Photo Comments

5 months 10 hours ago #676272 by effron
Yup, back when the D700 was only one generation old I got KEH and B&H to quote me, they were still selling for twelve to fourteen hundred everywhere....450.00, if in excellent condition. I still own it. 
There were also times I got a lot more in auctions than I expected, it happens.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

4 months 4 weeks ago #676313 by Kenta
Sell on Craigslist save yourself some $$ and use that towards new gear.  

Photo Comments

4 months 4 weeks ago #676333 by Chase Audate
My sister has been selling on eBay for 12 years, it's how she makes a living.  If you build in the  eBay costs into what ever you are selling, the reach can't be beat.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this 2020 star tracker buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the best star trackers currently on the market.

Jul 14, 2020

The Canon EOS 1DX might be nearly 10 years old, but it still packs a punch for professional photographers in need of a high-quality second camera.

Jul 13, 2020

Travel photography gear comes in all shapes and sizes, but what are the best items to pick up? Check this list for our top picks!

Jul 10, 2020

A camera belt is the ideal camera strap alternative because it puts the weight of your gear on your hips. It's a more comfortable way to carry your camera gear!

Jul 10, 2020

The best camera bags of 2020 include big backpacks, small sling bags, and many variations in between. Which of these top camera bags is for you? Find out!

Jul 09, 2020

The best stock photo sites pay well for your images, are easy to sign up, and offer tools and solutions to help you streamline your stock photography business. These sites are among the best.

Jul 09, 2020

If you're looking for unique canvas prints, look no further than metallic canvas! These prints are beautiful, iridescent, and have superior, eye-catching color.

Jul 09, 2020

Canon unveiled the Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 this morning. Both cameras look to be game-changers for Canon, and both will ship soon!

Jul 09, 2020