Selling camera gear on ebay?

4 years 2 months ago #675905 by J Photo Man
Have you sold any camera gear on ebay before?   I'm trying to find what sort of fees do they charge for this.  I can't seem to find a camera, photo, or anything relating on:  https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4364#fvf

Also is there any other sites besides Craigslist you would recommend? 

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675925 by effron
I sold quite a lot on ebay years ago, I hear the fees can get expensive now. Some still find it a good market, better than CL methinks. My issue came from paypal, who allowed me to get scammed. (wasn't successful and PP got mad)
Know the rules, read reviews and research, etc.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675934 by garyrhook
Yes, I use eBay. There might be a listing fee (often waived) and then a final value fee to the seller.
I don't think I've ever been hit with a 10% fee for a lens. You can probably consider it to be 3.5%, but I've not sold anything for a while.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #675958 by Roman Omell
Pretty sure you will pay 10% when it sells and another 2% to PayPal.   

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676041 by Frost Photography
+12% is about what you are going to be wacked.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676062 by Olivia
I avoid ebay as much as I can.  Sorry, the fees IMO are just too high.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676152 by Cory J
The problem with Ebay is their fee schedule is just to high if you ask me.  10% is highway robbery.  5% would be much more fair.  Then you get nailed 2% from PayPal.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676237 by Jeff Scott
I prefer to use Craigslist, ebay is to rich for me.  Rates are to much.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676259 by effron
I'm not the one to defend ebay, but if you compared what a reseller like KEH, or MPB offers for your gear, you'd gladly pay a 2% to 5% fee and you'd do nothing but package and ship. I used them for years and did well. Not every sale is like the other.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676264 by garyrhook

effron wrote: I'm not the one to defend ebay, but if you compared what a reseller like KEH, or MPB offers for your gear, you'd gladly pay a 2% to 5% fee and you'd do nothing but package and ship. I used them for years and did well. Not every sale is like the other.

Yeah, I just quoted my Nikon 85mm f/1.4D at KEH, and the offer is $204. They're selling for $400 on eBay.

I'll take my chances with an auction.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676272 by effron
Yup, back when the D700 was only one generation old I got KEH and B&H to quote me, they were still selling for twelve to fourteen hundred everywhere....450.00, if in excellent condition. I still own it. 
There were also times I got a lot more in auctions than I expected, it happens.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676313 by Kenta
Sell on Craigslist save yourself some $$ and use that towards new gear.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676333 by Chase Audate
My sister has been selling on eBay for 12 years, it's how she makes a living.  If you build in the  eBay costs into what ever you are selling, the reach can't be beat.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024