Coronavirus and camera gear from China

4 years 2 months ago #676250 by EOS Man
Speaking of the Coronavirus, if a product originates from China, and someone infected touches the product I ordered, can Coronavirus survive the trip to my mailbox on the product I ordered? 

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676252 by Khelm
"It’s currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes." from CDC's website.  

If you decide to purchase something I would have something to clean/sanitize the product.  Make sure not to touch your face (mouth, nose, eyes) before washing your hands.  As of now general sanitary habits are all you need.  

This is just for surfaces, contact with a person may have different precautions. 

4 years 2 months ago #676256 by effron
+1....They don't know a lot about this new virus yet, or the chinese are still withholding info.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676284 by EOS Man
Well, time to carry around a TON of wipes. Hopefully they will come up with a cure for this fast.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676378 by Uplander
Buy made in USA or invest heavily into wipes, wash your hands more often and keep an eye on the medial papers on what's happening with all of this.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676457 by Sawyer
I was supposed to be attending WPPI.  I've decided not to go because of this.  There will be companies from China attending and honestly, who knows what precautions they took before traveling to the USA for the show.  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676483 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day eos

Not an issue mate

A qwik look at amy medical site (refer dr google) clearly states that a virus can only survive outside a host for around 45 minutes, and this particular one - like influenza - is transmitted via air-borne droplets and sneezes

Whatever you unbox today could have been made up to 18 months ago ... and today's manufactured items will be unboxed in ??? months time

It is different for low-value consumables whereby a constant turnover occurs

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 2 months ago #676496 by Happy Snapper

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day eos

Not an issue mate

A qwik look at amy medical site (refer dr google) clearly states that a virus can only survive outside a host for around 45 minutes, and this particular one - like influenza - is transmitted via air-borne droplets and sneezes

Whatever you unbox today could have been made up to 18 months ago ... and today's manufactured items will be unboxed in ??? months time

It is different for low-value consumables whereby a constant turnover occurs

Good point, plus even if a product as made right now today.  Getting over here from China will likely take 10-14 days and then will still need to get through customs.  

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676497 by Khelm
Reading the news today and came across this article:

Here's how long coronaviruses may linger on contaminated surfaces, according to science

looks like potentially 5 minutes to nine days... They don't actually know.  But +1 to Ozzie_Traveller.  They were packaged and such months ago and had to go through customs, etc.  

"human coronaviruses 'can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or
0.1% sodium hypochlorite' or bleach within one minute."

I suggest reading the article.  I think it's important to note the death rate of this virus is that of the common Flu.

4 years 2 months ago #676579 by Rob Conley
Well at least this one isn't as bad as others.  But reading that, it's clear we still know very little about this.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676738 by Pete Franko

Khelm wrote: Reading the news today and came across this article:

Here's how long coronaviruses may linger on contaminated surfaces, according to science

looks like potentially 5 minutes to nine days... They don't actually know.  But +1 to Ozzie_Traveller.  They were packaged and such months ago and had to go through customs, etc.  

"human coronaviruses 'can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or
0.1% sodium hypochlorite' or bleach within one minute."

I suggest reading the article.  I think it's important to note the death rate of this virus is that of the common Flu.

Thanks for sharing, good read

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676760 by Barbara Fite
I was just reading there is 701 cases in Washington DC :unsure:

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676763 by Khelm

Barbara Fite wrote: I was just reading there is 701 cases in Washington DC :unsure:

what are your sources?  I doubt those numbers as I haven't read anything about it and I have been keeping up with the news since I study in China.

4 years 2 months ago #676765 by Barbara Fite

Khelm wrote:

Barbara Fite wrote: I was just reading there is 701 cases in Washington DC :unsure:

what are your sources?  I doubt those numbers as I haven't read anything about it and I have been keeping up with the news since I study in China.

https://www.krem.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/over-700-people-in-washington-under-public-health-supervision-due-to-coronavirus/293-0f7dfced-db4f-4a3c-a2ff-73a7db258dd3

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676766 by Khelm

Barbara Fite wrote:

Khelm wrote:

https://www.krem.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/over-700-people-in-washington-under-public-health-supervision-due-to-coronavirus/293-0f7dfced-db4f-4a3c-a2ff-73a7db258dd3

The article states, "[font=proximanova, sans-serif]These people are at risk of having been exposed to the virus and their health is being monitored by public health officials."  There are not 702 cases of the virus only 702 people who may have come in contact with a person who is confirmed to have it or have returned from China in the last 14 days. They're under observation and are not confirmed to be ill. [/font]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024