Enthusiast and Pro's in the same camera boat?

4 years 2 months ago #676469 by EOS_Fan
I was just thinking that these days, there are so many enthusiast who are using pro cameras.  I don't think there has been more of this ever.  I  know back in day at least with my immediate friends and family, camera gear we owned was more towards the enthusiast side of things.  

How times have changed.  So many people are owning cameras that are way over their heads vs back in the day.  

What brought this thought up is in the last 2 months I have had a few people that I know, buy into camera platforms, that were WAY over their head.  Most recent is my neighbor just ordered a Nikon D5 for his first camera.  Why?  "It's the best".   :huh:   In my head I'm thinking 'It's way over your head is what it is'.  

Do you agree?  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676479 by effron
What makes a D5 over your neighbor's head? Can he not learn to use that particular body and would have been fine with a D850?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676480 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day eos

This 'buy a brand-name product' has been with us "forever" - as there are many people who want a status symbol above the apparently better option of something else. Back in film camera days of the 60s-70s, I met people with Nikon cameras + Nikon lenses and their results were pityful ... a simple rangefinder camera on auto would have done them just as well.

I mentioned here recently that a decade ago I met a fella with a Leica around his neck -where the camera was on 'auto'. As we chatted about camera + lenses he answered my Q about his choice with "I'm a retired dentist - I bought the best and most expensive because I can"

Over the many years that I have been running photo workshops, I have had far too many arrivals with a big-name dSLR plus kit lenses, who tell me during the workshop that they find it a hassle to change lenses - are there any better options? They often go away to swap the kit lenses for an 18-200 so they won't have the hassle of changing lenses. As a lover of superzoom / bridge cameras, I firmly believe that this group of weekend-photographers would have been better off in the first place with a good fixed-lens superzoom, rather than a dSLR + kit lenses ~ especially as 99% of their images are only viewed on the TV screen. What a waste of the APS sensor's abilities!

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 2 months ago #676585 by fmw
A pro camera is any camera used by a pro.  An enthusiast camera is any camera used by an enthusiast.  It has nothing to do with the camera.  I don't use a D5 but I'll bet it can be  set up to operate like a point and shoot and should be able to make a decent shot of the grand kids in the hands of an enthusiast..

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676593 by Brachenland
The real question is, does an image or the camera or is the post processing of the image that makes one a "pro". So buying the most expedience camera doesn't make anyone a pro. More over the post processing or over processing seems to be the main draw these days. I try to do and use a minimal amount of equipment to achieve my images. So if it's because I use a Canon EOS M6, Fotodiox adapter & just 2 fixed lenses doesn't make be a pro, then I'll take that as a complement as I'd never want to known as a pro anyway. Just a person who uses what they have (even broken) or can afford in order to take interesting images. What I'm concerned with is the image quality of these smart phones which are taking away from mainstream photography. Photography just happens to be a hobby that has explored because everyone is or wants to be creative. if however they have been told they can make money doing this type of hobby, will learn the hard way. I entered this back in the late 60's with one thought, take pictures of what I feel I see and convey those feeling to others who view them.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676620 by Baydream
Kind of like buying your 16 yr old a Corvette will probably not make him a better driver. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676632 by Nikon Shooter
In 1969, I bought my dream guitar — a brand new Martin D-28.
This was my first chance to access a good instrument and I was
very proud for it. I spent more hours on it every day simply be-
cause it was stimulating me. With time, all that practicing paid
very well… I still own and play devoutly that guitar today.

If a better camera is as stimulating for an enthusiast, then be it.
Sure, there is always the "proud owners" but in the end, it is all
in the print.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676663 by effron

Baydream wrote: Kind of like buying your 16 yr old a Corvette will probably not make him a better driver. 

I've seen that, but rarely does someone die via a camera.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676672 by fmw
Another salient point is that there must be a difference between the results produced by a pro and an amateur.  The actual difference is that a pro has the experience and talent to get the required shot every time.  The amateur can experiment more..

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024