How to show your photos in a gallery show?

4 years 2 months ago #676504 by Vahrenkamp
Moderators - I wasn't sure where to put this question.  Feel free to move if it's not in right place.  

I've been invited to show my photos at an upcoming show.  There will be 22 photographers showing their work.  I have been given a 6'x30" table for myself.  

The parts of this that I'm not sure about are -

1. Frame or no frame my photos?
2. How many prints should I bring?
3.  Which size prints should I bring?

It's not a lot of space, so print size I'm guessing will have to be 20-24" wide at most?  No frame, as that will make shuffling through them more work.  Thoughts?

Thank you for your help!  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676506 by Brachenland
its a good idea to have a wide range of image sizes. but keep them around the 20 x 20 range. Along with this have several image already matted but not framed placed in a box as to allow those viewing the ability to flip or snuffle through them. Having a table is not a very good way to display anyone's work as the images are lay flat on the table top. Therefore make an effort to have something behind images in order to stand them up or a simple wall behind you to showcase particular images. Then lets not forget the use of a couple of image binders for 8 X 10 type images as a portfolio. Have a size chart and pricing available.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676532 by Vahrenkamp
Perfect, thank you for the advise.   Now just to clarify,  are you suggesting having some 1:1 orientation shots there  with the 20 x 20 or was that largest suggested length?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #676536 by Brachenland
Correct. But let's not leave out other aspect ratios. As for the 20 x 20 size, it can be 20 x 18 or less just using the 20 x 20 as a for instance or no wider than or higher than these sizes. However if you have several images around the 20 20 size, have these printed and framed and placed behind you or supported on the table. Then off to the left or right side of the table, have a file folder system which allows viewers to flip through already matted pictures but sealed in a plastic wrap this will allow those viewing to buy a pre-sized image all ready matted ready for framing. If you're good enough and have a wide selection of images, create binders for each category, landscape, portraits, still life etc and don't forget the business cards.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vahrenkamp
4 years 2 months ago #676630 by Vahrenkamp
Would you set up a fine art photo book with a larger selection of your work in it?  Or would you think that is overboard?  

Thanks again!  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676813 by Conner
You could always change 1 or 2 of your best prints on the front of the table with matte board behind them.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #676865 by icepics
I've done submissions to juried exhibits where I print, mat, frame and ship my photo that was accepted to be exhibited. I've submitted locally to an exhibition, but haven't set up at a show to sell prints (I priced whatever framed photo was accepted).

I've been to art and craft shows & fairs - if you haven't, try finding some to attend and see how things are set up and priced. I've found that pricing varies depending on the venue, with differences in shows in a city or urban area compared to a town in a scenic area, etc.

What I've seen at shows are a certain number of framed prints displayed, and others matted and in clear plastic sleeves usually in floor or table top racks like the ones linked.

Probably depends on how much money you want to put into this, and I don't know how many prints you'd need (a few of each at most? if even that many is a guesstimate) or how many might sell. Maybe go with standard sizes so buyers will be able to easily find frames.

www.dickblick.com/categories/furniture/art-studio/print-racks/

www.jerrysartarama.com/framing/print-racks?dir=asc&order=name

www.freestylephoto.biz/category/62-Prese...age/Print-Sleeve?mfg []=244

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676893 by Brachenland

Vahrenkamp wrote: Would you set up a fine art photo book with a larger selection of your work in it?  Or would you think that is overboard?

Nothing is over kill or too much. In fact I'd have a few Post cards made, placed on your table. This just shows your diversity and willingness to suit anyone's needs on any particular product.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676993 by Finn

BrokenCanon wrote:

Vahrenkamp wrote: Would you set up a fine art photo book with a larger selection of your work in it?  Or would you think that is overboard?

Nothing is over kill or too much. In fact I'd have a few Post cards made, placed on your table. This just shows your diversity and willingness to suit anyone's needs on any particular product.

:agree:  I would even have the post cards to hand out with your contact information on the back for ordering prints.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #677018 by Overread
Post cards are a good tool that will get people taking your teaser art home with them to ponder.  

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #677250 by Roy Wilson
Are you watermarking the front hero shot on the post card?  I like this idea and may use too.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #677901 by Vahrenkamp
Who are you guys using for photo albums?

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #677911 by Brachenland
1 Month before our wedding anniversary, I created an 8x8 photobook of all my wife's favorite images. Had shutterfly create the book for me then surprised her when the book arrived. I was astounded at the fast turn around and quality of the book.

Though only 8x8 with 20 images, I could have added text and been a bit more creative. I just wasn't sure as to how long it would have taken. As of so far, shutterfly has been my only source.

www.shutterfly.com/photo-books/custom-path

One thing that's great about this is when you create 1 book the first time you can either return to it make edits of leave it as is and it's ready to print in multiple copies. I'm currently working on my next larger size book dealing with American History.

I suggest a "book" type format over a binder with 8x10 photos stuffed in plastic sleeves.. Not very professional. Good enough for baseball cards.. but not photos.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 1 month ago #677915 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Vk

Just a thought ....
Is there any possibility of joining 2 images together at the top and placing them as an inverted "V" onto the table - so that they can be viewed easily by passers-by? Such images would probably need to be backed onto cardboard for stability

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024