Does anyone care about animal eye focus in cameras?

3 months 1 week ago #676586 by Peter P
I was just reading about Nikons firmware announcement for the Z6 and Z7.  The speak about this being a huge step forward because it now includes animal detection with eye focus.  Nikon isn't the only one, I seem to recall both Canon and Sony had similar announcements some time ago.  

My question is, are there REALLY that many people who care about animal eye focus?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 1 week ago #676588 by effron
Not I. No issues with finding an animal''s eye myself.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #676595 by Nikon Shooter
Shooting with long lenses and systematically at ƒ8, it
suffices me to target the head as the eye is way smal-
ler than the head at usual shooting distance.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #676619 by Baydream
I shot a Green Blue last fall with a 5D and 100-400 Canon handheld at a long distance. I was able to nail the eye with no problem. IMO this is a gimmick. Better to master the camera than have the camera master you. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

3 months 6 days ago #676670 by Shadowfixer1
I can drive a stick shift and did for many, many years but I enjoy my automatic transmission now. If a camera has it and it works, I'll use it. If it doesn't have it I'm fine as well.

3 months 6 days ago #676671 by fmw
It looks like they are running out of meaningful digital gadgets to include in cameras.  Now we just need a camera that look to the rear like my car.has.

Photo Comments

3 months 6 days ago #676677 by Shadowfixer1
The next big thing will probably be a way to upload directly to a cloud service automatically. Just guessing. 

3 months 6 days ago #676698 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I can drive a stick shift and did for many, many years but I enjoy my automatic transmission now.

Yup....Anyway, I don't want to discourage dreamers and thinkers. I say, "keep coming with the amazing!"

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

3 months 5 days ago #676789 by Amy Porter
Not something I would spend $$ on, or go running out the door to buy. I guess if it is already in the camera, that's fine.  But sure wouldn't be something I would want to spend extra on.  

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago #676886 by Crammer
Not enough to want to pay for it.  

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago #676931 by Kayce
While this isn't something that I care about in my cameras, this should be seen as a plus because Nikon is pushing out more firmware updates for you Nikon shooters.   

Photo Comments

3 months 3 days ago #676986 by Roger Lang
The plus is that Nikon is actively investing into their tech.  As for me, not something that strikes me as a WOW.  I can't recall the last time I have taken a photo of an animal.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Camera cages offer tons of flexibility and versatility when using a DSLR or mirrorless camera for video. In this tutorial, learn how to use a camera cage.

May 18, 2020