Are there any benefits to micro four thirds sensors in 2020?

3 months 1 week ago #676680 by Barbara Fite
I was just reading about the new Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark  III camera.   Correct me if I'm wrong, Nikon and Canons selling point with their new Z and RF mount was larger flanges = more light on sensors = better performance. 

Are there areas that micro four thirds shine over other cameras?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 1 week ago #676681 by Shadowfixer1
Best in camera IBIS. Affordability when you factor in lenses. Portability in weight and size. Olympus has some features not available in other cameras. Live Composite, Live Time, built in ND feature, hand held high-res shots and focus stacking to name a few. The biggest problem is action in low light conditions. It is a noisier image. Razor thin DOF is harder, but not impossible. I remember when our efforts went toward trying to gain DOF. All systems are a compromise. The decision is deciding what is important to YOU.   

3 months 1 week ago #676682 by Shadowfixer1
One more thing. The new mounts for Nikon and Canon aren't as much about more light to the sensor but it's more about bending the light rays less so the outer edges are sharper than the smaller mounts. That is the big advantage. It's probably an easier lens to design when you don't have to bend te light as much to reach the outer edges of the sensor.

3 months 1 week ago #676734 by Barbara Fite
Really?  So when the light coming in and is bounced or bent, that makes a difference in the image quality?

BTW what do you think of the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark  III?  

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #676739 by Shadowfixer1
Yes the bending of the light ray makes a difference. The ray will hit the photosites at the edge of the sensor more directly, increasing efficiency and with a lens designed for it, sharper images on the outer edges. 
I think the Mark III is an excellent camera and I will probably update from my Mark II at some point. The built in ND filter, joystick and hand held high res images make it worth it. There are a couple of other improvements as well. 

Watch these if you have time.

3 months 1 week ago #676741 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Barbara

Good question and one that many others ask regularly

May I invite you to pop into the DPReview.com site and read the interview with the Chairman of Panasonic, where he is extensively asked about full frame vs m4/3 frame systems

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 months 1 week ago #676778 by Steve Zahra
Cost?

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #676987 by Roger Lang
Barbara, what are you looking to use the camera for?  Each camera serves a purpose.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

You can learn nude photography with any kind of camera. What's more important is to focus on the process and making the model (and yourself) as comfortable as possible.

May 26, 2020