How to find followers in social media platforms as a photographer?

4 years 1 month ago #678374 by Andy Gladwell
When you are trying to build your online brand, how do you find followers in social media platforms as a photographer?

4 years 1 month ago #678419 by Khelm
Don't be fooled...  many people pay for followers - bots/fake or duplicate accounts that make it appear they have so many followers.  I've been approached on IG to pay $10 and I would be featured on their account that has 100,000 followers.  or to pay $xx.xx to get so many guaranteed new followers.  Be careful while building a social media presence (unless you want to take this route).

I would say your best bet is networking.  When shooting for clients ask them to add you.  When speaking with other photographers exchange info and follow them and they can follow you.  If you present your work anywhere or try to sell your work advertise your online presence (Social media, website, store, etc).  Use hashtags on your photos so others can see your posts.  I would also search hashtags and look at other people's work.  You can follow them.  Often people will follow someone who follows them.  I would also engage other photographers through their social media.  If you like a photo of theirs let them know and ask questions that encourage them by sending a PM/DM.  Others may have more (and better) advice, but this is what comes to my mind.

I think the most important factor is quality photographs.  

4 years 1 month ago #678438 by Piechura
I'll preface this by saying that I don't actually have many followers (nor have I tried to get any), but I follow a lot of photographers so I have a good idea what they do.

The first thing is that obviously hashtags are your friends. Most photographers trying to get a following will tag the subject matter (all possible variations), then the location, the camera, the lens, etc. It's not unusual to see over 20 hashtags on a photo. It's particularly good if you're able to jump on any popular hashtags at the time they're popular. Not that I'm recommending it, but it's not a coincidence that Youtube is full of coronavirus videos right now.

On a similar note, look out for challenges that really popular photographers set up. Someone like Peter McKinnon will occasionally do a video where he demonstrates a technique and then encourages people to use a particular hashtag to share their pictures with the rest of the community. I've discovered quite a few photographers this way.

One thing I noticed is that whenever I follow a successful or popular photographer, pretty soon afterwards, I'll get follow requests from a few other photographers who are obviously hoping I'll click on their profile and like what I see. My Instagram is private, so it's obvious they're just spamming, but presumably it works sometimes. Probably not a good way to go about things though (might even be some dodgy automated thing).

Perhaps a better technique is to reach out to other photographers who have similar numbers of followers and offer to promote each other in your stories. Models are actually much better than photographers at doing this in my experience. Better still, actually do a project with each other where you both go on the same shoot and share the results on each other's profiles.

Make sure you're getting an Instagram link on any work you do for anyone else's profile (models, clients, etc).

4 years 1 month ago #678749 by Greg Friedman
Push content out on regular basis that your target audience would be interested in seeing.  You'll need to promote your content to get further reach too.  Partner with like businesses and use your social handle for others to find you. 

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678797 by Miss Polly
+1 good advice.  Especially working with other companies in your space and town. 

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678906 by garyrhook
Well, no one has stated the obvious yet....

There is lots of advice out there on gaining followers. Go google it. Most of it is pretty consistent in suggested procedures. And it has nothing to do with you being a photographer. It has to do with gaming the system.

Secondly, why are followers important? I get approached by folks wanting me to pay them to get me followers, and I always respond with, "what is the quantifiable return? What value does your service have?"

Know what I get back? That's right... crickets.

The net: "likes" don't pay the bills, becoming an "influencer" is really hard work, but completely antithetical to who one really is (IMHO). And it's really hard work. As in, takes a lot of time. I don't have two hours a day to waste on IG posts.

In any event. good luck.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678964 by KCook
Shift into paparazzi mode. Post lots of your shots of celebrities.

simpleminds

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 1 month ago #678968 by effron

KCook wrote: Shift into paparazzi mode. Post lots of your shots of celebrities.

simpleminds

Best idea in the lot.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024