Who would have rights over this?

2 months 2 weeks ago #678604 by Rudy Silvo
A situation I saw a couple weeks ago has me thinking.  If you were at a tourist landmark that has a model and fashion photographer who show up.  It's a public space, however the fashion photographer and model get busy on a impromptu photo shoot.  You there, or others take photos of the model with the landmark as primary point of interest.  Under these conditions, who has rights to their photos to share online or enter into publications?    

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 weeks ago #678608 by effron
The shooter of the pic, with the model's permission. That's my guess.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #678614 by Rudy Silvo

effron wrote: The shooter of the pic, with the model's permission. That's my guess.

Even in the public space, where they are interrupting the existing photos getting taken of that spot?

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #678635 by fmw
Whoever looks through the viewfinder and fires the shutter owns the image.  In order to sell it, however, you will need a model release.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brisbane-Wedding-Photographer

2 months 2 weeks ago #678653 by garyrhook
In what country? It may matter...

In the US, in public, shoot away. And post to IG all you want. You don't need permission for that. Not even for art. Only for commercial purposes.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #678955 by Garbo
+1 True

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #678989 by icepics
A park may/may not be public, but may be used by the general public, depends on who owns/manages the park. If it's a public park, usually park districts have rules about photography and either don't allow photo shoots by professionals (with models, tripods, etc.) or require the photographer to get a permit/permission. because it's using the park to conduct business.

Sometimes you just have to work around people, I learned how to do that years ago, and it's what I've often had to do shooting sports and events.

You need the model/subject's permission to use the photos for retail or commercial/business use. You could use the photo for editorial use, but this doesn't seem newsworthy enough for that purpose (newspapers, magazines). I suppose you could share/post the picture of someone set up doing a photoshoot at the park. I think it would be inappropriate to walk into someone else's shoot and start taking pictures of their model that they hired/contracted.

Sharon
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679260 by Remy Hedrick
It's like people shooting movie sets.  No difference.  

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679262 by Nikon Shooter

Remy Hedrick wrote: It's like people shooting movie sets.  No difference.  

Bingo!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679268 by icepics
I can see why someone may want to take a picture of a movie crew out on location, that could be interesting if you could get close enough (they film often enough in my area and it's usually cordoned off). But why would anyone want a picture of another photographer's photoshoot with a model? the model they hired/paid? What could you do with it? not much without the model's permission.

Sharon
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679376 by Carry
The photographer who brought the model there.  Simple.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679393 by garyrhook

Carry wrote: The photographer who brought the model there.  Simple.

That is incorrect. Suggest you read the entire thread.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Camera cages offer tons of flexibility and versatility when using a DSLR or mirrorless camera for video. In this tutorial, learn how to use a camera cage.

May 18, 2020