Working for free while starting out with wedding photography?

4 years 1 month ago #678629 by Pat White
Do you advise working for free when you are trying to get your foot into the wedding photography door?  If so, how many weddings would you shoot before you started to charge?  

Thank you for your help.  I'm trying to get a better idea of my photography future.  

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikon Shooter
4 years 1 month ago #678631 by Nikon Shooter

Pat White wrote: Do you advise working for free? 

NO WAY… I though your country was well over slavery and prostitution!

Ask your grocer, garage or who ever!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678638 by icepics
Who works any sort of job without getting a paycheck? Nobody (unless it's for a charity event).

You could try getting opportunities as an assistant/second shooter. Try asmp.org or PPA for info. You'd need to be able to get whatever list of shots is required, and your work would need to be professional quality.

Do you have a portfolio yet? Maybe for that you could find an opportunity to take photos for your own use; if you're second shooting see if you can take photos for your portfolio.

If you haven't yet, find ways to learn marketing. The market has been saturated and I don't know if it's improving or not. There are people with cameras who have been underpricing which has apparently made it that much more challenging for photographers.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678648 by effron
This has been discussed ad nauseam....NEVER give your time away!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678652 by garyrhook
If you want to work for free, try to get some gigs as a second for an experienced wedding photographer. It's the best way to learn. Once you have an idea of the job, you can find your own gigs and charge for them.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678658 by Brisbane-Wedding-Photographer
The important point is that you have wedding experience before you take on your own wedding.

Assist a professional photographer (second shoot for them) on a wedding at least once. Get that experience.

They should pay you if you're shooting, because they will use your images. But maybe you just tag along and carry gear? If you have to do that for free, I'd say it's worth it. The knowledge you'll get from observing is invaluable.

If you're wondering about photographing a friend's wedding for free, remember that they will expect great images regardless what they paid you. If you don't have great images to give them at the end, they're not going to think "Well we got what we paid for. $0 for 0 images." They're going to be devastated and your friendship with them will likely finish on that bitter note.

Otherwise, once you get started, you'll probably need to price low in the beginning and work it up as you go. That's just life.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678877 by Pat White

icepics wrote: Who works any sort of job without getting a paycheck? Nobody (unless it's for a charity event).

You could try getting opportunities as an assistant/second shooter. Try asmp.org or PPA for info. You'd need to be able to get whatever list of shots is required, and your work would need to be professional quality.

Do you have a portfolio yet? Maybe for that you could find an opportunity to take photos for your own use; if you're second shooting see if you can take photos for your portfolio.

If you haven't yet, find ways to learn marketing. The market has been saturated and I don't know if it's improving or not. There are people with cameras who have been underpricing which has apparently made it that much more challenging for photographers.

Nothing worth talking about.  I'm just planning at this stage, wondering how I'm going to get over that hump from hobby to paid professional.  Thinking if there are ton of pro's already out there, why would any hire me?  That's where I started to think about being different.  Free is different, but is free.  

4 years 1 month ago #678880 by Pat White
First off, thank you everyone for the answers.  I think the best course of action will be to become a second shooter under an existing pro.  Build experience that way. 

Let me ask you this, as I'm sure these pro's get asked alot about second shooters.  How do you stand out and get them to pick you?

4 years 1 month ago #678905 by garyrhook

Pat White wrote: Thinking if there are ton of pro's i]sic[/i already out there, why would any hire me?  That's where I started to think about being different.

No one hires you for photographs, they hire you for the experience. And if you do your job, their perception of the experience will be very positive, and they'll love you.

And for your other comment, you get hired because of the experience you create. That applies to being a second for someone: figure out how to sell yourself, but you want to approach folks that have a demonstrably similar aesthetic. You want to be able to provide work to them that fits in their style.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678913 by icepics
ASMP used to have listings of photographers needing assistants and people looking for second shooter jobs. I don't know if they still do. You'd be expected to be given a shot list and be able to get the photos needed. You'll need to show that you're able to do that (portfolio, etc.).

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678971 by Garbo
Pat, the best thing you can do here is to find a wedding photographer whos in your area and shoot with them as a second shooter.  Build up some 'experience', confidence and then get out there on your own.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679092 by Roy Wilson
:agree: with all of the above.  Plus when you work for free, you'll then struggle to get away from being the 'free guy'.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679095 by Nikon Shooter
Unless you get on a team as second photographer where
the first one would be trust worthy "mentor".

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679295 by Robert Chen
Time is too short, never work for free.

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024