B&H photo video permanently closed?

4 years 4 weeks ago #679690 by Scott Klubeck
I know B&H isn't closed now.  I was reading their letter from their CEO  on their home page.  What has me wondering is WILL they 100% shut down?  We just got notified that the entire state of California is ordered to stay at home, businesses shut down and people can only leave homes for food or run errands.   If this becomes a nationwide thing, will B&H be forced to shut all operations down?

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #679707 by effron
It might. They could just close the store and do online business. Their gubner could force them closed though. It shouldn't be permanent.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #679710 by CharleyL
The Adorama show with Daniel Norton is usually YouTube live from a small studio in the Adorama store every Thursday at 5 pm, but for the last few weeks it was from Daniel's own NY studio and not with an audience like at the store. Yesterday Daniel and Seth did the show, but it was all done remotely from their homes. No model either. They spent the hour showing and talking about some of their more memorable shows from the past. I didn't enjoy it as much, but I was impressed that they could even put it together and have the show on schedule.

Both B & H and Adorama have closed their stores, but I believe that they are far from out of business. Their websites are still up, and likely someone is there taking phone orders. Pick-up of an order can also likely be arranged if you have placed an order and want to go to the store to pick it up. Many stores, restaurants, and fast food stores are still operating with window, or door,  pick-up service.

I had to go out yesterday for back-ordered meds, and I kept as far away from others as possible. One woman in the line ahead of me was wearing a scarf. When it was her turn, she put the scarf over her mouth and nose to speak to the girl at the counter. I thought that this was a great idea, since it seems impossible to find medical masks. If I have to go out again I'll not likely wear a scarf, but I have some large hankerchiefs and I'll have one with me to do the same with it as the woman did with the scarf, covering my nose and mouth with it when too close to others or when communicating with them. 

I also realized that as a woodworker I have some disposable gloves and dust masks in my shop (wish I had more of them). While not sanitary enough to perform surgery, they are better than nothing during this time of need. If you have these in a hobby, wood, or craft area of your home, Just make certain that you keep the mask fitted tight against your nose if you need to use one of them. 

You needn't lock yourself inside for this 2 weeks or more either. If you can get outside and still be away from others, being out will do you a lot of good. I have 3 acres and about 1,600' of lake shore, so I will likely be taking the camera out to shoot some ducks and geese. I will also likely be making some things in the wood shop. I don't do well when confined for extended periods. I get "Cabin Fever" easily. We just need to stay distant or in some way isolated from other people to stay safe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cabin+fever+definition&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS814US814&oq=cabin+fever&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39j0l5j69i60.7741j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just some thoughts and ideas. I hope they help some of you. Alternative ways of dealing with this virus are my intent here.  Please be safe.

Charley 

4 years 4 weeks ago #679779 by Harrison J
They'll still be shipping though, it will take a lot for one of those  to close down 100%

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #679825 by effron
I don't believe they're shipping right now, but they are maintaining their web site and waiting this out like most of us. Lots of good videos to see.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #679847 by James L
Wait, has B&H ever closed because of something other than Jewish faith related holidays?

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #679851 by effron
They had no choice, gubner cuomo made it mandatory, nobody but essentials go to work. Maybe they ship out of NJ and can do some shipping, I'm unsure.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #679886 by garyrhook

James L wrote: Wait, has B&H ever closed because of something other than Jewish faith related holidays?

Probably not. And probably not for Adorama, either.

In fact, a lot of businesses have probably not closed for any reason other than holidays. This is new territory for all of us.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #679925 by henryp
Thanks for your concern. Our retail store is closed for the time being. We will reopen it as soon as we are legally and safely able to do so. The rest of our business is operating, including online and telephone orders, shipping merchandise from our NJ warehouse, and so on. We are taking EVERY possible precaution for the health and safety of our employees and customers and will continue to do so throughout this crisis. .

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
B&H Photo-Video

The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
4 years 3 weeks ago #679936 by Stanly
Henry, are you guys testing your employees who handle shipments out to people?  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #681797 by David Dettman
So far both them and Adorama have been open for mail order, with the exception of their holidays. 

4 years 1 week ago #681889 by Scott Klubeck
Yep, noticed about both.  :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #703520 by photo-truth

henryp wrote: We are taking EVERY possible precaution for the health and safety of our employees and customers and will continue to do so throughout this crisis. .

I read that B&H furloughed 400 of employees on May 1, 2020. You wrote, "taking EVERY possible precaution for the health and safety of our employees" -- does this mean B&H continued paying for the healthcare of these 400 employees -- or did getting furloughed mean they all lost their health coverage? 

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #703744 by henryp
I'm sure you appreciate that matters of privacy and employee confidentiality prevent me from commenting in detail. 
 -- Henry Posner / B&H Photo-Video

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
B&H Photo-Video

3 years 4 months ago #703746 by photo-truth

henryp wrote: I'm sure you appreciate that matters of privacy and employee confidentiality prevent me from commenting in detail. 
 -- Henry Posner / B&H Photo-Video

LOL. Everyone knows acknowledging B&H is not paying furloughed employee's healthcare benefits is not a privacy matter. 

Translation: 400 B&H employees furloughed since May 1 no longer have B&H medical coverage. So much for "taking EVERY possible precaution for the health and safety of our employees."

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024