Will you leave and shoot with a single prime lens?

4 years 1 month ago #679882 by Greg Friedman
I was just watching a video from Craig Roberts of e6 Vlogs, and he speaks about heading out with a single prime lens.  He speaks about using just primes.  

But the part that I find interesting is leaving your home, with a single prime.  Talk about being committed!  I don't know, on the fence.  For me, the part that I find challenging is the idea of being out on location with a single prime, and a incredible shot opens up, but you need another lens.  :pinch:   That's the part in general that I stub my toe when thinking about primes. 

What about you?

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679883 by Nikon Shooter
The only time I will go out with a single prime lens
is when I intend to shoot macro exclusively… rare!

Alway have a minimum of six lenses… at any time.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679885 by garyrhook
I've come to the conclusion that the "only primes" mindset goes along with the "get it right in camera" and "never crop in post" ideas: um, no.

I'm also of the opinion that many of the Nikon primes (the good ones) have characteristics that I can't accept.

I do have a 35, 85, 105, and 135, and they're fine. I would only commit to one of them for a photo walk. In general, I have 3-4 lenses with me, depending upon what I think I'll be doing.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679910 by effron
I go out sometimes with my D7100 and the 35 f/1.8 when I want to go light. I like zooms and I'll admit it.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679928 by Prago
Not me, I find primes to restricting.  The only one I have and still use from time to time is the 50mm.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679929 by Prago
BTW

+1 with Gary

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679933 by Hassner
If I go walk-about with no ideas and want to try reset my style, I might do the one lens thing. 
But then it will be less than an hour, or I’ll drive myself crazy. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679975 by 7Wishes
I like the challenge of going out with just my 14mm lens and 5D MK IV and capturing something I'm happy with. It certainly makes you work for your shots. 

4 years 1 month ago #680057 by Crammer
I prefer zooms only because I have more options and aren't restricted.  Plus I saved $$ when I bought what I have.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680141 by Khelm
As someone who's first and current camera has a fixed lens (Fuji X100T) I find non-prime lenses distracting.  I like knowing what I have and what I will get and then moving to get what I want.  I'm able to focus more on the composition.  I borrowed a friend's XT-2 and found myself sticking around 23mm (the same at the X100T).

When buying my first camera I received wise advice: buy fixed lens so you learn how to take photos -- composition, ISO, Aperture, SS, etc.  Thus avoiding G.A.S., playing with tech, etc.

I say, ultimately, it depends on your purpose.  Is it simply an A is better than B argument or is it more along the lines of desiring how to use a particular focal length/lens?  Anyone who knows how to use their gear will get good photos.  Do the same thing for a prime or zoom If you desire is to learn a particular lens and it's qualities.  Take only one piece of gear and use it to learn it.  The next time take a different piece.

4 years 4 weeks ago #680251 by fmw
Not when I did pro work but I do it from time to time for fun just to force myself to make the best of my equipment.  I have left home with nothing but a full frame fisheye lend many times.  By the way I rarely use zoom lenses.  Back in the day they were terrible.  While no longer true I learned photography and practiced it for decades with fixed lenses and I have stayed with them.  As a benefit they are faster and have noticeably better corner sharpness than zooms.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680260 by garyrhook

fmw wrote: As a benefit they are faster and have noticeably better corner sharpness than zooms.

I always get a kick out of statements like this. As if corner-to-corner sharpness is required in every situation. (It's not.) Or as if sharpness of 35mm film can even compare to what digital cameras and clever PP are capable of producing. (It can't.)

If I'm using a fast lens and shooting wide open, then my corners are very likely to be blurry. If I stop the aperture down to get more DoF, my corners will be sharper, but then why on earth does it matter if I have a fast lens? (Given that zooms hold their own pretty well nowadays.)

Don't argue architecture or landscape. I get that. I'm speaking in general terms.

That said, I could be wrong. If so, what am I missing, and need to know more about?

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680375 by Tim Wiener
I never leave home with a single lens, prime or zoom.  I enjoy having options and the tools I may need when out.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024