4 years 4 weeks ago #679951 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day NS

Thanks - a beaut video

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 4 weeks ago #679970 by icepics
I wouldn't count on the accuracy of the info. in a video that isn't produced by a medical or scientific source. The person doing this one is on Patreon, selling T shirts, making money from ads on YouTube, etc. and that seems to be what often drives people doing videos.

It shows that it follows NGSS standards, but I worked in education and there's no certification or licensure of that name in the US so I'm not sure what it is. There are links to info. that seems reliable, but also links to what seem to be about conspiracy theories, rumors, etc.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #679972 by Nikon Shooter
The production of such documents is heavily equipment and
time consuming. Finding some kind of financial support is not
a discredit to these initiatives. Some documents are compiled
and produced by serious advanced students in their respective
fields.

Before putting this doc on the forum, I checked the science it
is proposing and, with some friends from the university, conclu-
ded it is a gathering of correctly lined up and interpreted facts.

Not seen as "conspiracy theories, rumors", it clarifies:
• this is not a chinese biowarfare thing
• this is not attack from anyone — stop the paranoia
• there is simple(!) biology at work
this is just an incident our immune system has no yet a para-
  de or response to.

As long as it is seen in the same perspective than many other flu
epidemics/pandemics incidents in history… the right way to go.

The 2003 SARS coronavirus epidemicwas a similar type of virus.
www.who.int/ith/diseases/sars/en/

The question is, as always with viruses: Can we learn faster than
it can kill? With modern labs everywhere in the world, with many
well trained research teams, the end of the war is the awaited
vaccine. THEY'RE ALREADY WORKING ON IT. Just wait for it.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #679976 by Nikon Shooter
It's all in the way to look at it… belief vs science.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #679977 by icepics
The person who did the video doesn't seem to have any particular medical or science expertise. There's a long list of links below the video and the titles sound like many are reliable sources and some my not be. Anyone can watch whatever videos they want but some of them seem to contain misinformation and it doesn't seem helpful to share those.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #679979 by Nikon Shooter

icepics wrote: The person who did the video doesn't seem to have any particular medical or science expertise.1 There's a long list of links below the video and the titles sound like many are reliable sources and some my not be. Anyone can watch whatever videos they want but some of them seem to contain misinformation2  and it doesn't seem helpful to share those.

1, Some politicians have access to all the support of the experts
   and still put out nonsense.

2, Would you be so kind to point to the misinformation in this case?

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680081 by Nikon Shooter
Yet, another perspective

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680099 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day NS

Thanks for the links and comments ~ I personally found the original video quite acceptable as a "general interest and informative video" which is all I thought it purported to be.  As with many things that I (we here) watch / read / listen to, as educated people we have the choice to accept or reject the message depending upon our belief systems ~ but enough on that topic

Masks-  I am intrigued
On the TV and other media, I see hundreds of people wearing masks as they go about their daily lives

As my spouse is 6-months into a chemo regime following surgery for cancer, I/we have "some concerns" about this virus, so I asked our local pharmacy for some masks.  Several days later, a phone call - yes we have your masks, please come and collect.  All okay - until I read the notes on the cover .... "this is a sterile mask and is single use only for a maximum of 8 hours"

So I am left wondering about all the people I see on TV - the masks I see appear to be identical to the two we received, but they seem to be being used day after day after day .....

So I am now left more confused than ever

4 years 4 weeks ago #680124 by Nikon Shooter
All the best for you guys…

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680252 by fmw
Where Do New Viruses Come From?Old viruses.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680254 by icepics
Ozzie I don't know why there are people wearing masks out on the street - why are people hoarding toilet paper?? Reactions to something new and unfamiliar and scary and a threat to health and safety, etc. etc.

Masks are needed by medical staff, first responders, etc. to protect themselves and reduce spread to others. For you and your wife it's necessary to take whatever precautions you and your medical care providers recommend. Why some other people are doing what they're doing is anyone's guess!

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680269 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, mutations of.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680273 by Randy Shaw
Where do new viruses come from?  Today?  China.  2008 USA

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680274 by Nikon Shooter
Syphilis, thought a long time to have been brought back
from mezzo America to Europe, was in fact traced earlier
back in a monastery in Ireland.

These civilisations were decimated by the simple cold for
which their immune systems had no defence and by swords.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024