Camera battery is super hot

4 years 2 days ago #680402 by Ken Brun
The battery in my Nikon D7500 when I swapped it out was crazy hot.  Like had to drop it out of my hands hot.  

I didn't put another battery into the camera and haven't done anything with that battery so I don't damage anything.  

Do you think this is battery specific or something going on with my camera.  Batteries that hot can't be good.  

Has this happened to you?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 days ago #680403 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

A 'super-hot' battery is not a good sign - were you shooting long duration continuous images?

If not, then it shows extreme charge or discharge is occuring -or- that it has internally shorted itself. Do you have a second battery that you can double check with?

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 2 days ago #680408 by Nikon Shooter

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: A 'super-hot' battery is not a good sign

That is if one wants to put it very mildly!

Yes, charging way too fast will increase temperature due to 
inner resistance of electrochemical compound… and that is
quite bad.

If, OTH, you pulled out lots of energy in a short time, it is not
that much of a problem… just a normal indication of the same
higher inner resistance. 

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: Were you shooting long duration continuous images? If not, then it shows extreme charge or discharge is occuring -or- that it has internally shorted itself. Do you have a second battery that you can double check with? 

+1

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 day ago #680505 by CharleyL
I think it could be caused by a problem with the camera or a defect in the battery. Have you got another battery to try? Use it for a bit and then check it's temperature. If the second battery gets significantly hot, there is likely a problem with your camera. If it's still relatively cool, I would suspect an internal defect in the first battery, and time to replace it. Batteries sometimes develop internal defects that short circuit the cells, causing significant heat. 

Charley

4 years 1 day ago #680508 by Ken Brun

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day mate

A 'super-hot' battery is not a good sign - were you shooting long duration continuous images?

If not, then it shows extreme charge or discharge is occuring -or- that it has internally shorted itself. Do you have a second battery that you can double check with?

No, 7 minutes and then I noticed battery level was low on camera meter.  Pulled out battery and it was super hot.  

Photo Comments
4 years 1 day ago #680510 by 7Wishes
Is it a genuine Nikon battery, or a third party battery? If genuine did you buy from a reputable dealer, check on the Nikon website about counterfeit batteries. 

4 years 1 day ago #680512 by Nikon Shooter

Ken Brun wrote: No, 7 minutes and then I noticed battery level was low on camera meter.  Pulled out battery and it was super hot.  

If you made sure all contacts are clean,
then the battery is defective… positively.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680703 by Dana Leeson
Yeah that can't be good, I'd bet it's the battery.  Did you try another battery in the camera yet?

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680911 by Chris Briggs
Is it an aftermarket battery?

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680951 by Ken Brun
It was the battery everyone.  It was a aftermarket one and all the others are working just fine.  WHHHHHHHAAAAAA

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680954 by Nikon Shooter
Always a good feeling to KNOW "what and why"! :P

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681054 by CharleyL
A lot cheaper than repairing or replacing the camera too. Thanks for letting us know.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024