Camera battery is super hot

4 years 3 weeks ago #680402 by Ken Brun
The battery in my Nikon D7500 when I swapped it out was crazy hot.  Like had to drop it out of my hands hot.  

I didn't put another battery into the camera and haven't done anything with that battery so I don't damage anything.  

Do you think this is battery specific or something going on with my camera.  Batteries that hot can't be good.  

Has this happened to you?

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #680403 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

A 'super-hot' battery is not a good sign - were you shooting long duration continuous images?

If not, then it shows extreme charge or discharge is occuring -or- that it has internally shorted itself. Do you have a second battery that you can double check with?

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 3 weeks ago #680408 by Nikon Shooter

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: A 'super-hot' battery is not a good sign

That is if one wants to put it very mildly!

Yes, charging way too fast will increase temperature due to 
inner resistance of electrochemical compound… and that is
quite bad.

If, OTH, you pulled out lots of energy in a short time, it is not
that much of a problem… just a normal indication of the same
higher inner resistance. 

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: Were you shooting long duration continuous images? If not, then it shows extreme charge or discharge is occuring -or- that it has internally shorted itself. Do you have a second battery that you can double check with? 

+1

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #680505 by CharleyL
I think it could be caused by a problem with the camera or a defect in the battery. Have you got another battery to try? Use it for a bit and then check it's temperature. If the second battery gets significantly hot, there is likely a problem with your camera. If it's still relatively cool, I would suspect an internal defect in the first battery, and time to replace it. Batteries sometimes develop internal defects that short circuit the cells, causing significant heat. 

Charley

4 years 3 weeks ago #680508 by Ken Brun

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day mate

A 'super-hot' battery is not a good sign - were you shooting long duration continuous images?

If not, then it shows extreme charge or discharge is occuring -or- that it has internally shorted itself. Do you have a second battery that you can double check with?

No, 7 minutes and then I noticed battery level was low on camera meter.  Pulled out battery and it was super hot.  

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #680510 by 7Wishes
Is it a genuine Nikon battery, or a third party battery? If genuine did you buy from a reputable dealer, check on the Nikon website about counterfeit batteries. 

4 years 3 weeks ago #680512 by Nikon Shooter

Ken Brun wrote: No, 7 minutes and then I noticed battery level was low on camera meter.  Pulled out battery and it was super hot.  

If you made sure all contacts are clean,
then the battery is defective… positively.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #680703 by Dana Leeson
Yeah that can't be good, I'd bet it's the battery.  Did you try another battery in the camera yet?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #680911 by Chris Briggs
Is it an aftermarket battery?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #680951 by Ken Brun
It was the battery everyone.  It was a aftermarket one and all the others are working just fine.  WHHHHHHHAAAAAA

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #680954 by Nikon Shooter
Always a good feeling to KNOW "what and why"! :P

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681054 by CharleyL
A lot cheaper than repairing or replacing the camera too. Thanks for letting us know.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024