Would you book international travel for September or October 2020?

3 years 11 months ago #680710 by Dan Spade
I was planning on going to Iceland in September or France and both have crazy low airfare rates right now.  Below half what it was 2 months ago.  I'm on the fence to order.  

Would you gamble on the better rate and assume (hope) Covid 19 is gone by then?  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680752 by Nikon Shooter
The pandemic has not shown any sings of slowing
down in the western world yet so, as you say, it is
a gamble.

If your ticket is refundable in case of restriction: ok.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680829 by Pettigrew
Only  if you can change dates or cancel with full refund.  So make sure you get trip insurance.  

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680866 by sanjeevnanda
A few people in my contact list had booked their April-May tickets, back in December. Now, with the existential threat of the Coronavirus looming, their packages seem to be cancelled. One, had a bitter experience with the Refund policy of the travel portal she booked through. Plan as you may, just keep your corners well covered.
~Sanjeev Nanda

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680876 by Richard Taylor
I tried reaching Expedia about future travel bookings 3 days ago. The hold time was so long, I hung up.  I'm curious about this too.  If you can cancel, I'm going to try to save some $$ on future travels.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680890 by ThatNikonGuy
Just be sure you READ and UNDERSTAND terms and conditions right now when you buy tickets.  There might be disclosures in place that if you buy know, knowing situation that you are to be stuck with what you get.   

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680924 by Ian Stone
I was just reading an article that spoke about how the Vegas hotels are already getting booked, so you aren't alone in your thinking. 

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680932 by Nikon Shooter
Hi Dan,

your gamble is losing ground. At this point, in the US,
it is feared that there is no one to take that risk given
the odds in the crisis evolution.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #680957 by J Photo Man
+1, I happen to agree on that one.  Tempting, but I wouldn't book anything for 2020.  Just to risky unless you can 1000% get refund or move to another date with no fee.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681046 by Fess Walker
I wouldn't risk it

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681052 by Overread
+1 I agree, to much risk right now.  Wait till things start to get better, then book.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681053 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

I have this morning listened to an ABC Australia radio interview with Prof Peter Collignon - an internationally recognised infectious disease expert. The radio interview was asking -amongst other things- as to 'how long would he expect travel restrictions (both local and international) to be with the world"?
His answer was "until we have a vaccine"

If you wish to look up this expert, here it the link
medicalschool.anu.edu.au/people/academic...r-peter-collignon-am

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 11 months ago #681062 by garyrhook

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: I have this morning listened to an ABC Australia radio interview with Prof Peter Collignon - an internationally recognised infectious disease expert. The radio interview was asking -amongst other things- as to 'how long would he expect travel restrictions (both local and international) to be with the world"?

His answer was "until we have a vaccine"

And that's pretty much it. We're not going to isolate everyone everywhere for 3 weeks or longer, to ensure the virus dies out, which means it's here to stay. And without a vaccine we're all potential victims.

The only point of the quarantine is to keep the infection rate at a level that is as manageable as possible. Nothing more.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681081 by sanjeevnanda
Buddy, I would suggest holding off any travel ideas to next year for now. If you have planned one already, and have gotten refunded for the same - you are a king among paupers right now. A lot of travel portals are plainly refusing to refund under any circumstances.

Moreover, scientists are predicting a wave of infections in the fall of this year, called the Covid-19 2.0 - subject to the eradication of this disease or not.

~Sanjeev Nanda

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681113 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

On the TV news last night was a snippet about someone who needed an 'emergency' flight from Oz to the UK
The quoted price was over $25,000aus - about 10x the normal price plus there was no travel insurance medical component available

Travel .... ?   Caveat emptor

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024