What's the best SD memory card to get for Sony RX100 Mark III?

4 years 2 weeks ago #681102 by Tim Dulaney
I just bought my first camera and it came in yesterday, but there is no memory card.  Which I overlooked I needed.  It takes a SD memory card.  I checked on Amazon and there so so many to select from and different sizes from 16GB to over 1TB I saw.  How big of a card should I get and which brand would you suggest? 

I'm grateful for your help.  

Tim

4 years 2 weeks ago #681105 by Nikon Shooter
With that camera @ +/- 20 MP I would suggest a 16GB
maximum in the Ultra range. You would get not benefit
from anything bigger. HTH, Tim.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681108 by garyrhook
There's not enough information in your question.
  • Define "best"?
  • Your 20MP camera will be used to shoot.... JPGs?  RAW? Video? How do you intend to use it?
  • Each file type requires different amounts of storage. How many images are you comfortable working with at one time? 100? 1000?
  • What performance metrics does the camera specify? The manual is going to give you the requirements, which is all about write speed. You will want to ensure that your card meets those requirements. (Hint: I'm willing to be you need a class 10 card.)
  • How many cards do you want? Suggest a minimum of at least two. A backup for when you misplace one, one gets full, one gets washed, whatever.
"Ultra" comes in multiple flavors, so that's not a helpful adjective. Mostly that's about read speed, or how fast you can move the data off the card onto the computer. Which you want a card reader for, too. Don't try the camera-cable thing. That's just silly.

That said, I suggest larger cards, if you're doing video. The sweet spot ($/GB) in pricing is 64GB right now, I think, and there's nothing that says you have to fill a card. I have a dozen cards, which I rotate. The cards hold the older images until I am convinced they've been copied to the computer, and backed up. I did find a bundle of 5 Class 10 16GB SanDisk Ultra cards on Amazon, for $26. I will just add here that as soon as I moved to my 24MP camera, I went to 32, then 64 GB cards pretty quickly (RAW images). I have no tolerance for running out of room on a card.

SanDisk seems to make a very reliable product. Lexar used to. Samsung is good, too, IMHO.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681110 by Tim Dulaney
Thank you both.  I've heard of JPG, but not sure about RAW.  Again, I'm new.  Just learning and found out after the case that I need a memory card in order to use this thing.  

4 years 2 weeks ago #681111 by Nikon Shooter
My suggestion holds. You will possibly not shoot the way
I do at times producing RAW files of 70+ MP and at 7 fra-
mes per second. Have a good time!

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681114 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Tim

You have some good advice above ~ the sort of card information to catch your eye is "size in GB and speed of camera to card saving the image"

It will be shown on the card as seen here ...

For most users, the speed is more important than the storage capacity

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:
4 years 2 weeks ago #681115 by Tim Dulaney
Very helpful, thank you!  All this makes a lot of sense to me now.  

4 years 2 weeks ago #681116 by Nikon Shooter
A  16 GB can hold   800 images.
A 32 GB can hold 1,600 images.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681152 by Kenya See
+1 32GB card will be plenty.  Try Sandisk.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #681278 by CaptNemo
I'm all about Sandisk cards.  16 or 32gb should be just fine.  Actually if you plan on doing video go with the 32gb.  Don't forget to format your card when you get it!  

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #681289 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Tim

Also- if you are the sort of person who comes home after a shooting session and immediately transfers images from the camera card to your computer's hard disk, then a smaller GB size will probably do nicely. As NS says ... A  16 GB can hold  800 images. ~ A 32 GB can hold 1,600 images. ... so if you are not a big shooter, maybe even the 8GB or 16GB will suit

For myself- I always cut 'n paste today's images to a standard folder on the HDD before erasing the duds, then working on any images and finally transferring them to a target folder for long term storage

Hope this helps

4 years 1 week ago #681306 by Devon Franklin
Get yourself a couple cards too.  It's always good to have a spare with you.  One day, you'll likely forget your card in your computer.  That spare will be a godsend.  

4 years 1 week ago #681429 by Scott Klubeck
Sandisk or Samsung or even Transcend 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024