Dropped and broke my 10 stop LEE filter today!

7 months 4 weeks ago #681153 by Scott Klubeck
Dang it!  I’ve only had this darn filter for 3 months.  Just perfect.  I thought these things could take some sort of impact/drop.  Well that’s money down the drain.  I hope this isn’t indicator of what my week will be like.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 4 weeks ago #681156 by garyrhook

Scott Klubeck wrote: Dang it!  I’ve only had this darn filter for 3 months.  Just perfect.  I thought these things could take some sort of impact/drop.  Well that’s money down the drain.  I hope this isn’t indicator of what my week will be like.  

Bummer. No one likes to damage equipment. It bites.

On the bright side, now you have an excuse to buy a better one. Say, Formatt-Hitech, or NiSi, or Breakthrough.

Photo Comments

7 months 4 weeks ago #681165 by Kenya See
Sorry to hear about this!

But do they make a drop proof glass for any filters?  Kind of thought all filters will break if dropped.  

Photo Comments

7 months 4 weeks ago #681166 by KENT MELTON
That sucks, sorry to hear!

Photo Comments

7 months 3 weeks ago #681244 by CatherineW
About 3 years ago, same thing happened to me.  Well kind of the same.   I was at Colorado River shooting with some friends and jumped from one rock to another and my filter that was on the front of my camera slide out of the bracket and landed on a rock before falling into the water.  My son was able to get the filter for me, however top right edge was chipped off.  That was a Formatt Hitech Ken Keminosky kit. No filter is immune to drops like these. 

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments

7 months 3 weeks ago #681291 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Scott

You can always try sticky tape and a bit of fencing wire .... it seems to be a universal fix used by farmers, outback workers and occasionally some photographers (at least with tripods etc) :)

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

7 months 3 weeks ago #681294 by Nikon Shooter
… and then, that is only if the right matching fencing wire
colour is available. Downunder perhaps? :P

Hi Phil, hanging tight?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

7 months 3 weeks ago #681296 by Devon Franklin
I have Breakthrough filters.  Actually my son got these for me for Christmas last year.  I'm happy with them.  

7 months 3 weeks ago #681428 by Eric A
I broke a 6 stop ND last summer.  I had the filter on my lap and forgot about it when I got out of my truck.  It fell to the pavement and cracked in half.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments

7 months 3 weeks ago #681456 by Ira Weber
I  feel your  pain.  Been there and done that.  

+1 Go for the NiSi or HiTech  filters.  

Photo Comments

7 months 3 weeks ago #681505 by Scuba Mike
Well that is unfortunate,  look at it this way, things could have  been worse.  You could have dropped your lens! 

Photo Comments

7 months 3 weeks ago #681624 by Kitzmiller
That SUCKS!  I was going to say the same about  things could have been worse.  But the  plus side is you won't need to worry about the blue tint from that lens any longer.  :rofl:    Sorry had to make a joke.  Did you figure  out  which direction  you will go for  replacement? 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7 II might be five years old, but it still has features and specs that are well worth the price in 2020.

Nov 24, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 might be four years old, but it still packs a punch for photographers looking for a feature-rich point-and-shoot camera.

Nov 23, 2020

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020

The Sony a9 II is a feature-rich full frame camera with superb image quality and video performance. In this review, learn all about its specs and capabilities.

Nov 12, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Now that Apple is making its own chips, is the Apple Mac Mini M1 worthy of your money? All signs point to yes. Get all the details in this first impression guide to the Mac Mini M1.

Dec 02, 2020

If you need gift ideas for photographers, consider a photography gift card as a prime option from one of these popular retailers.

Dec 02, 2020

The importance of a tripod cannot be understated. Even having a tripod alternative is important too. In this guide, we discuss various tripod options you need in your bag.

Dec 02, 2020

Now that Apple is using its own silicon, the question is, are their M1 laptops any good? First impressions are that they are VERY good!

Dec 01, 2020

If you're after a cheap laptop for yourself or someone on your holiday shopping list, you might consider one of these computers under $500.

Nov 25, 2020

With these family portrait tips, you'll learn a few strategies for taking much-improved Thanksgiving family portraits.

Nov 24, 2020

There are tons of Black Friday photography deals available this year. Check this list of Adorama Black Friday deals, Amazon Black Friday deals, and much more!

Nov 24, 2020

GoPros are highly capable cameras, but with these GoPro video accessories, you can turn your GoPro into an even better option for photos and videos.

Nov 24, 2020