Newbie with DSLR question

3 years 11 months ago #682181 by 2guns
Started in the 70s with a Yashica. Graduated to a Canon AE1 and and AE programmable later. Then a Canon FTX which was my first film with auto focus. I bought the first 6 mp Canon digital that came out since it would use my lenses. I’ve been using an XTI since 2007 I think. I’ve thought of upgrading to the SL2 or the T5i. I don’t do many portraits. Mostly nature and landscape shots out kayaking or horseback riding. Largest prints I’ve ever had made were 24x36. I am familiar it’s my XTI but had some issues a few days back with Compact flash not wanting to seat. I think I’ve got that fixed. I’m nowhere a pro but love to take photos. I’ve considered the XSI since it used SDH cards. Should I splurge for much newer body or invest into some smaller F stop lenses. 

3 years 11 months ago #682194 by Jon East
Whats your budget?  You can buy used also to get better (stretching budget), but save a few bucks.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #682198 by 2guns
I’m thinking around $500. Camera body only. I’m ordering the 24mm and 50 mm pancake lenses this week sometime. I’ve got a 35-105 is lens and a 75-300 Phoenix which is made by someone else now. A 70-200is lens and a few kit lenses. Nothing fancy but I like the image stabilizing lenses. KEH camera seems best deal on Pre owned.

3 years 11 months ago #682212 by Sawyer
Try www.mpb.com  

Also you might want to look at the Canon M50.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #682288 by 2guns
That’s a good web site and camera prices are much cheaper than KEH. I don’t see any 6 month warranties but prices are decent. Nice camera you mentioned but I don’t have any lenses for a mirror less camera. I’ve only got two I could use on a full frame so will probably stick with an egos of some sort. I like the 70d and the SL2. The SL1 and T5i are not much different but I like the larger body of the 5i and quicker access controls for ISO and white balance verses the menu system of the compact DSLR.

3 years 11 months ago #682433 by 2guns
So would you choose T5i or the D70. Video not really necessary.

3 years 10 months ago #684183 by 2guns
I got around to watching a lot of videos on the M50 and it appears a lot like a small sized package of a D70. I was hesitant because all my lenses are ef and EF-S but saw the adapter in action. I was headed for the d70 but am seeing multiple reviews of focusing issues and motherboard problems. Will the M 50 make a good landscape camera. Still not so interested in video but it seems nice on this camera. 

3 years 10 months ago #684231 by Baydream
I have a 70D and love it. I then bought a 5DmkIII and use the 70d when I will be making quick changes. The 70D came with a 28-200 that is an amazing walkaround lens. It is my only EF-s as I have been building my EF set, both Canon and Sigma. The 70D is a bit larger and sturdier than the T series (I started with a XT, then XSi, then 60D before the 70d and 5D. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
3 years 10 months ago #684324 by 2guns
I found a decent 5dii with a 23000 shutter count today. I have maybe 4 of 20 lenses that will fit the full frame. 

3 years 10 months ago #684384 by KCook
Obviously the old full frame lenses will be a better match with the FF 5Dii. However it would not surprise me if the crop 70D had a little better autofocus.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 10 months ago #684394 by 2guns
All my lenses will fit the 70D. Only a handful will fit the full frame. Looks like the 70D has a higher iso and is faster too. Too many decisions. It’s been a pick between these two cameras. I did find a T5i in a pawn shop with is STM kit lens for $300 out the door and picked it up until MPB can get another 70D in. KEH had a few but they won’t tell shutter count and offered a 14 day warranty. The pawn shop gave 30 days. I figure I can use the T5i for a tag along banger camera with the Canon 24 mm pancake lens and a 70-200 for hiking until I can get a deal on the 70D. Just fooling with it last night I found the touch screen is something I like. It’s a big jump from my older XTI. I only want a new one for pictures. Not too interested in movies but I guess it’s a nice feature to have if you need it. I’ve decided to shoot everything in raw and downloaded Canons new photo suite. I’ve got an old copy of photo shop but have never got the hang of it. Now to find a dedicated laptop for pictures only. 

3 years 10 months ago #684448 by KCook
Canon's DPP is a very good start for RAW.  When you are ready to move up, there are lots of RAW choices today.  Links for ideas -

Looking for lightroom

What software to get to edit photos?

Kelly
(ACDSee, Affinity, Darktable, Luminar)

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 10 months ago #684466 by 2guns
I’ve read and watched a lot of videos on Lightroom. It looks like a really nice program. All my computers here are tied up in business so I’m looking for a Chromebook or dedicated laptop to do nothing but photos. I’ve got a 36 inch external monitor to spare to use with whatever I end up with. I noticed the raw images in the T5i are turning out much better than my older XTI. I shot a lot yesterday in raw and reworked a few in the canon software. I hate I put a camera down for 10 years and got so busy I forgot how much fun it really was. 

3 years 10 months ago #684475 by KCook
I used Lightroom as my first RAW developer. Jumped off that train when Adobe switched to their subscription scheme.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 10 months ago #684484 by 2guns
Lightroom appears to be a much easier editor than adobe photoshop. I tried a few in online version of Polarr this morning but it lacks a lot of features. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024