How to mount camera overhead for video

3 years 11 months ago #683419 by Mason Latka
Trying to get creative, so my wife and I are going to start a YouTube channel on kitchen gear and recipes.  I need to figure out how to get my camera mounted overhead so I can film hands prepping stuff, and reviews.

How would you mount?  

Thank you

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683421 by Nikon Shooter
I have a mini jib for such usage… a blessing!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #683439 by CharleyL
I used my monopod, extended as far as I needed, attached the camera to it with the display pointed down, started the camera, and then raised the monopod up and clamped the bottom of it in position. When the video was complete, I un-clamped and lowered the monopod and turned the camera off. I did this for 3 different scenes and the results were great. I also did similar where video recording at a crowded event where I started the camera and then just held it up above the crowd and watched the screen to get what I needed. Not the best, stability wise, but I got what I needed. 

If you try this, do some experimenting before making the keeper video. Methods of clamping the monopod and camera stability need to be worked out before the real video work.

Charley

3 years 11 months ago #684008 by garyrhook
This came in a newsletter. Thought it might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1peSTA8tRk

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684026 by Nikon Shooter
A great advantage with the jib is once the axises are set,
they stay set all the way allowing time and nerves saving.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684029 by David Norris
Check out Shittyrigs on Instagram. (Sorry if there's rules about language here, that's just what it's called).
If you get on quick, they've posted a bunch of stories with people doing top-down shots.

Generally, they post people's dodgy DIY rigs, but they're actually quite ingenious. I listen to a podcast where a few Hollywood professionals talk about how brilliant it is, because people are being creative, and finding new ways to achieve things for cheap.

3 years 11 months ago #684105 by Ian Stone
Ha!  that site is awesome:  shittyrigs.com  

OP, as David pointed out there are a few photos on their home page that show you how you can do this.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684219 by Alex
I use a sturdy tripod, with a Sirui HA-77 arm mounted to it.  Add a good ball head, ideally with locking lever.  If you have a heavier camera  being used, there is a hook at the other end for adding weight.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684225 by Alex
Actually I'm getting ready to film a review on Apples new Magic Keyboard and just set up... here's my setup:  

Make: Apple
Model: iPhone 11 Pro
Lens: iPhone 11 Pro back triple camera 4.25mm f/1.8
ISO: 160
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Captured: Wed, 6 May 2020 14:59pm

Make: Apple
Model: iPhone 11 Pro
Lens: iPhone 11 Pro back triple camera 4.25mm f/1.8
ISO: 250
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Captured: Wed, 6 May 2020 14:58pm

My counter weight is a little ghetto - I'm using a bungee cord looped up with a Litra Studio light on a Gorillapod.  LOL 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
3 years 11 months ago #684237 by Nikon Shooter
A boom arm Is what I was using before; lots of fiddling
to set up and no less to go to an other view.

The advantage of a jib is that ALL AXISES are fixed so it
(the camera and jib) can be moved in any of the four di-
rections keeping at all times the original three point tar-
geted axises.

I use it sometimes for overhead shootings but mostly to
be used with the soft light for portraits.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684355 by Mason Latka
Perfect!  Thank you all.  Now how long is that arm shown in the photo?

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684441 by Overread
Hey Alex, what ballhead are you using there?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024