Tethering Camera to Tablet

3 years 11 months ago #683539 by Brachenland
This is something I've been attempting to achieve for a very long time. mainly because I hate the small view screen on the Canon M6. I was lead to believe that I could tether a Canon m6 to a Samsung tablet via a usb cable mounted on my tripod.

After attempting this with the Canon Connect app and 3 other apps, none of them worked. Granted I realize that these apps use wifi or wireless setup. But I wanted a tethered cable setup.

Several months ago I sent word to Canon asking about their newly updated Canon Connect app. Even the app page says "direct connect" but has nothing to do with actually direct connecting to and from camera to tablet.

So I'm here to set the record straight. According to Canon the app was created for wifi or wireless use, yet they do have an app/software for windows based system which one can "direct connect" as they say. This means I've been going all about this wrong. I was attempting to connect my Canon M6 to a Samsung tablet which is a totally different operating system. 

Now that I know I can connect my camera to a tablet it must be a windows based tablet or detachable laptop. next I have to re-order another ball head, usb cable and a windows based tablet in order for this set up to work. 

Hope this helps others who (like me) are tired of the small viewfinder or small live view screens on these cameras. yes there's hope for us who just larger screens to actually see what we're taking pictures of. I hope to get back into this once all the extras are delivered.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683543 by garyrhook
You want live view on a tablet?

If you were using a DSLR, I would suggest a CamRanger. But they don't support the M6, it seems. 

Have you looked at similar devices? I believe there are more on the market now.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683548 by 7Wishes
The Canon Connect app was never meant as a way to physically tether your camera to a device such as a tablet or smart phone. I've not run into problems using the app to connect via wi-fi with my iPhone or Huawei MediaPad M5 while using my 5D Mark IV, or EOS M5.
You can tether to a PC/Laptop or Mac computer via the software that comes with the camera (EOS Utility app), or by downloading it from the Canon website.

3 years 11 months ago #683549 by Brachenland
Gary, if you actually read my above comment you would have seen that I said I've tested 3 other apps which are used in the same manor as the Canon Connect app. At that time I was focused on locating an app.. At one point I even contacted mark harman developer of the opencamera app. I asked him to create an addon or new app devoted to my needs. 

Now that I know that the issue is not the app connecting to an odd ball tablet, I'll have to purchase a windows based system and try my direct connect again which should work and I can't wait to have a larger view screen.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683551 by garyrhook

BrokenCanon wrote: Gary, if you actually read my above comment you would have seen that I said I've tested 3 other apps which are used in the same manor as the Canon Connect app. At that time I was focused on locating an app.. At one point I even contacted mark harman developer of the opencamera app. I asked him to create an addon or new app devoted to my needs. 

CamRanger/et.al. aren't applications, they are devices that know how to talk to cameras, with applications that talk to the device. Not quite the same thing, in my mind, which is why I mentioned. (Not just for you, for anyone/everyone that might read this thread.)

I hope that the setup that's been recommended to you works as expected/required.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683555 by Brachenland
Amazing when I create a topic in order to try and help others who may be having the same issue as I am or just want another option to have a larger screen and yet have the camera tetherd to the tablet or laptop, everyone offered other opinion or try to tell me something CANON themselves told me..

This tread was merely meant to offer support to anyone who may be having the same issue thus it was not open to comments or suggestions. as I said Canon themselves finally got back in touch with me on this and cleared everything up.

As I said, I'll have to reorder the cable, another pergear ball head and locate a windows based tablet to see if this will work for me and yes it can be a tablet as long as its windows based like the surface pro etc. 

At least Gary finally realized what I was saying and actually said hope this works for what I need it to. I'm confident this will because I've already endured the canon to sumsung issue without success.

Furthermore, 7Wishes IF I wanted to use wifi or wireless I never would have wrote this topic..I'm a hard core wired person.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683560 by Shadowfixer1
Wow. I'm speechless.
3 years 11 months ago #683562 by 7Wishes
And like I said, if you want to tether use the Canon utility app that came with your camera, or download it from the canon website and you'll be able to physically tether with a lead. 

3 years 11 months ago #683654 by Davidjk
I’m surprised camera connect doesn’t work using the remote shooting mode. Work with my M6 mk1 and 2 on my Samsung galaxy, iPad and iPhone. However I did have a similar issue recently with WiFi settings and just contacted Canon via their online live chat service. The guys on there know their stuff. Found it handy seeing there are no retailers open at the moment

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024