Photography meetups and clubs dead from Covid 19?

3 years 10 months ago #685179 by Eliffman
Out photography club has gone radio silent with the managers going radio silent.  I was talking to a friend today and he was saying most clubs and meetups most likely won’t meet for a very long time.  

What are you hearing from your clubs?  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685181 by Nikon Shooter
I most European countries, where conditions may vary dra-
matically, some are slowly lifting the confinement rules.

That said, as I was trying to reboot my "delta excursions" for
this coming summer and it doesn't look too good. Borders
are not all opened and coming back may be a risky business
for all — my students and me.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685183 by Shadowfixer1

Eliffman wrote: Out photography club has gone radio silent with the managers going radio silent.  I was talking to a friend today and he was saying most clubs and meetups most likely won’t meet for a very long time.  

What are you hearing from your clubs?  

Clubs around the Atlanta area have been meeting on zoom. They hold competitions with digital submittals and the judge critiques and judges online. Programs are on zoom as well. Things are pretty normal except for physical attendance of the meetings.
3 years 10 months ago #685186 by garyrhook
Our last two meetings have been on Zoom, and been very successful. Of course, what we are about works well for that format, even though I'd prefer being in the same room. But so far, so good.

I think how well meetings will translate to online depends upon what happens, and how many people are attending. But for us, it's worked well.

I figure at least one more online meeting in June. We'll see how it plays out.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685189 by Uplander
Man, Zoom stock price must have gone through the roof in the last couple months.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685190 by Uplander
Had to check.  Sometimes a screenshot says it all - 

Photo Comments
Attachments:
3 years 10 months ago #685218 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Eliffman

Our club president has been active in promoting all of zoom + email bulletins out to club members so that everyone feels to be part of a creative group - not just forgotten in the rush of all the other stuff that's going on

fwiw ... Our Aussie state gov'ts are talking about easing things now that half the continent has not had a new virus-hit for 21-days and the eastern half has less than 50 active cases registered with a dozen or so people still considered 'medically dangerous' (for the want of a better term)

But the important thing is that the Aussie people are safe and deaths are few and far between ~ unlike some other nations around the globe

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 10 months ago #685358 by CharleyL
The one club that I belong to has been silent with no meetings for 2 months, but a meeting is scheduled for 6:30 on Wednesday May 20, however only 3 have responded that they are going. It's normally held in a sandwich/coffee shop and I don't think it's even open yet.

I won't be going this month. I will take a "wait and see" attitude toward next month. Zoom might be a possibility, but some members have major trouble running their camera, much less trying to figure out a new computer program.

Charley

3 years 10 months ago #685654 by GWS
We just had  a zoom meeting last week.  You know what?  It was fun, it caught me off guard, I thought it was going to be lame, but it was a good time.  Be sure to join on larger screen so you can tile out all your friends.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685730 by Camera Diva
Ours has been doing Zoom calls, it's fun.  However not the same, but it's something at least.  Like I said, I'm looking forward to this getting over!  

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685734 by Ozzie_Traveller

Camera Diva wrote: Ours has been doing Zoom calls, it's fun.  However not the same, but it's something at least.  Like I said, I'm looking forward to this getting over!  

+1
Phil fromDownunder

3 years 10 months ago #685773 by Farestad
Ours did a couple zooms, but then everyone tried talking at the same time and it was a cluster f'.  It was so frustrated.  Most including myself, didn't get on further calls.  I'll wait till things reopen.  

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685977 by TGonzo
My group tried it, but only 4 people jumped on it.  So they didn't have it again.  Actually it was scheduled for a second one, but then it was canceled.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685981 by Shadowfixer1

Farestad wrote: Ours did a couple zooms, but then everyone tried talking at the same time and it was a cluster f'.  It was so frustrated.  Most including myself, didn't get on further calls.  I'll wait till things reopen.  

Needed a good moderator that puts everyone on mute unless there is a need for that person to say something.
3 years 10 months ago #685992 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

We have no issues - the Pres. hosts & moderates and the dozen or so 'attendees' all contribute as and when required

Phil

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024