DJI loses patent dispute with Autel??

3 years 10 months ago #685552 by Don Granger
How in the world could a patent like this be enforced?   https://www.suasnews.com/2020/05/steptoe-secures-itc-win-for-autel-in-patent-dispute-with-dji/

Kind of disappointing as this will effect DJI drones sold in USA as early as July.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685620 by garyrhook
It's easy to take things for granted once we are used to them. At the time of the filing, there must have been something new and non-obvious that allowed for the awarding of a patent.

N.B. the patent office could have gotten it wrong. It happens. It can result in legal challenges against the awarding of a patent.

Without taking the time to exhaustively check the history of drones, it sort of looks to me like the timing of this was right at the beginning of what we now consider ordinary.

And if it was new at one time, then the patent was warranted. And being a strong believer in IP (which every photographer should be) good for Autel for defending its rights.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685622 by Inez Villarin
I was reading about this, isn't it really how the props are attached to the motors which is what Autel is fussing about?  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685630 by Silver Fox
This is not good for DJI, they'll need to pivot fast on this one.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685637 by garyrhook

Inez Villarin wrote: I was reading about this, isn't it really how the props are attached to the motors which is what Autel is fussing about?  

That was my take-away, along with the direction in which they turn. But again, I find reading patents somewhat challenging.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685668 by Don Granger
Yep, found this, motor and prop mounts.  Not end of world for DJI, they just need to figure out an alternative mount.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685782 by Adam S
Man I hope they get this fixed, Autel drones suck.  A buddy has or rather had one.  I have the original Mavic Pro.  Love that drone.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685843 by icepics
Which is what they should've done in the first place, come up with their own process/parts instead of stealing info. from another company. I think manufacturers all usually register patents for their unique or specific components and processes. Guess somebody learned the hard way.

Sharon
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685868 by Sawyer
It's DJI, they will figure it out

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685883 by Ted Helm

garyrhook wrote: It's easy to take things for granted once we are used to them. At the time of the filing, there must have been something new and non-obvious that allowed for the awarding of a patent.

N.B. the patent office could have gotten it wrong. It happens. It can result in legal challenges against the awarding of a patent.

Without taking the time to exhaustively check the history of drones, it sort of looks to me like the timing of this was right at the beginning of what we now consider ordinary.

And if it was new at one time, then the patent was warranted. And being a strong believer in IP (which every photographer should be) good for Autel for defending its rights.

:agree:   But looking over videos, I don't think they got it wrong.  Unfortunate. 

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685950 by Jakov Barnes
Can't chance this one, just ordered 2 sets of Mavic props.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686157 by Owen
You won't need to worry about props, far to many aftermarket companies selling these.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686287 by Ian Stone
Well that sucks.  I hope DJI finds a work around.  I don't care for those Autel drones as much as the DJI Mavic series.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024

In the great Canon R6 vs R6 Mark II, which one is best? Is it the original, groundbreaking R6 or the mildly updated and newer R6 Mark II? Let’s dive in and find out!

Apr 03, 2024